Official Review: Gilded Prisons by Linda Gould

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Check
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Black Freighter by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Gilded Prisons by Linda Gould

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gilded Prisons" by Linda Gould.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Justin Moore, a Major League baseball star, is married to his high school sweetheart, April, and has two daughters, ten-year-old Andrea and seven-year-old Melissa. He and his family live a charmed and blessed life. Seven years ago, another ballplayer, Manny Chavez, had been kidnapped and sent to a Cuban prison by his ex-wife, Guadalupe. Manny was eventually returned home, and he married his girlfriend, Jessica. Ironically, after working out at the same ballpark with his friends, Murphy and Robin, Justin is kidnapped from the clubhouse. Manny believes Guadalupe is behind the kidnapping because the events are similar to his abduction. Guadalupe lives in the Cuban palace, is married to Alfonso Junior, and will be the first lady when President Ramirez dies. Why does she want Justin? Is the kidnapping personal or political? Will there be a war between Cuba and the United States? You will have to read Gilded Prisons by Linda Gould to find out.

For me, the most positive aspect of this book is that the story is not about the baseball game. Many of the characters are baseball players, but there is not much about the game itself. Every time Linda Gould switches characters, the character’s name labels that section; I never experienced any confusion about who I was reading about. The author has developed each character beautifully, and it is easy to visualize each of them. I could see the children playing, the sternness of the guards, the terror in the victims, and the deceit in conversations between the characters. I enjoyed the lyrics to the song “I Came Home to You.” This book contains many life lessons. My favorite two are: “we can only control what we can control” and “hatred is a waste of time and energy.” Our world would be so much better if everyone thought this way.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The action-packed and fast-paced plot flows smoothly and is an easy and quick read. A professional editor has edited the book as there are only two minor errors in the entire book.

With all of the positive aspects and the minimal errors in this book, there is absolutely no reason to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a joy to read, and I had a hard time putting it down.

I recommend this book to adults who enjoy reading about Major League baseball, deceit, and mystery. You will find these, and much more, in this fantastic book. However, I do not recommend this book to younger readers because of the profanity and sexual content.

Gilded Prisons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

I've never been a huge sports fan, but this is so cool! Political intrigue, kidnapping and a good dose of mystery? I haven't read a mystery book in a while, so this might be an interesting one.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Post by markodim721 »

Truly an unusual story. The book seems very interesting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”