Official Review: Passenger contact for hysterical subcons...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Passenger contact for hysterical subcons...

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Passenger contact for hysterical subconscious" by Gianlubodai.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let me introduce you to an unknown passenger who seeks a contact. Maybe, someone to pat them on the shoulder. In this collection by Gianlubodai titled Passenger Contact for Hysterical Subconscious, the themes of dejection, frustration, desire for affection, delusions, and disillusionment drive the unknown speaker. Having been through many uncomfortable situations, the speaker sorrowfully embarks on a journey of getting, at least, a tender pat on the shoulder. Perhaps, an acceptance and contact by and with others. Hence, the mission of the passenger. Who knows whether this mission will be accomplished? How? Let's journey through this text to find out.

Passenger Contact for Hysterical Subconscious is what I will call 'a poet's anthology.' Although written by a single poet, it still qualifies as a collection of poems, thus, an anthology.

Although rooted in diverse themes or subjects, this collection keeps the title of the text in view. In as much as Gianlubodai addresses so many issues such as sadness, desire for affection, misunderstanding, delusion, and disillusionment in this collection, the central theme is never out of sight.

The speaker is seen in many pages and lines of this anthology lamenting a lonely estate melted on him by lack of contact with others. On page 116 (lines 6 and 7), the speaker desires just a 'pat on the shoulder.' This indicates a deep longing for intimacy, which is almost forbidden. As a result, he laments how his loneliness is influenced by people's misconception of good for evil.

Other elements of beauty that further substantiate this text as a collection of poems are the many poetic elements. There's enough oxymoron (page 14, line 5), metaphor (page 28, line 13), and pun ( page 43, last line) to spice up the poems. There's also the use of a transferred epithet (page 69, lines 3 and 4). These, among others, embellish the cadence and concordance of these poems, as expected.

Of course, the place of rhyme is not despised. Rhyme gives concordance and a sonorant melody to every poetic piece, Passenger Contact for Hysterical Subconscious not excluded. "Catching a Moment" is a typical example of a poem that showcases this element. As William Wordsworth says, "poetry recollects powerful emotions in tranquillity."

However, some incoherences, digressions, and title contradictions falter this text. I'll take the following three paragraphs to explain these.

A collection of poems is not expected to revolve around a singular subject. However, each component poem is meant to focus on something. But such is not the case in some of the poems. The poem "Little black goat," for instance, is void of any message. Its lines run freely without any antecedent or consequence. Such is not a quality of poetry. Maybe, it could qualify as an eloquence, as John Stuart opines.

The absence of incoherence gives rise to digressions. Take a brief look at the switch between verses and narratives on pages 41, 73, and 79, 102, respectively. It is not worth it, in my opinion. Though there is descriptive or prose poetry, the poetic language and elements must set them apart. But the case is not the same here, as the narrative runs like a plotline.

Again, the issue of title contradictions is similar to the points above. However, its presence is too obvious to overlook. The lines on page 56 almost contradict the entirety of the work. The similitude between these lines and the idea of a passenger seeking contact is irreconcilable.

But in all, this is an excellent anthology of poems. Quite vast and reason-demanding, but overwhelming in content.

Besides the carefree use of punctuations, which is pardonable by his poetic license, Gianlubodai's work has just a few errors. Hence, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This is consequent upon some incongruous lines with the subject, incorporation of narratives (short stories) into the poetic anthology, amongst others.

I recommend that anyone capable of making the right decision between poetry and prose fiction gets to read this book.

Passenger contact for hysterical subconscious
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I enjoy anthology poems and proses. It differs based on the day; but, poems do leave a longer feeling, I think. This prose probably seems like a good one. Thanks for your review!
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

The title caught my eye. :D
It's been a minute since I read poetry of any kind. I'm curious to see what this one might offer. Thanks for your informative review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”