Official Review: The Trees Are Dying by Ed Surma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: The Trees Are Dying by Ed Surma

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Trees Are Dying" by Ed Surma.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Twelve (He and She of Black, He and She of Brown, He and She of Red, He and She of Yellow, He and She of White, and He and She of Beyond Color) must find a solution as to why all of the trees are dying. They go to The Oracle, located in a cave, a portal to the Underworld, for advice and to gain knowledge of the present and the future. The Oracle asks them if they think they are responsible for deciding the fate of all and if their way is the only way for survival. For them to be successful, they must do what needs to be done without judgment against others. They must surrender. What does the Oracle mean? Will The Twelve be able to save the trees? Is there more at stake than just the trees? You will need to read The Trees Are Dying by Ed Surma to find out.

There are several positive aspects to this book. The book consists of four chapters that revolve around the four seasons (Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring). Each chapter begins with a picture of what the trees look like during that particular season. These pictures helped me visualize the trees. Mr. Surma did a fantastic job with character development. I could picture each of the characters in my mind, regardless if they were mortal, immortal, or faery. Before reading this book, I never realized that there was a difference between faeries and fairies.

In my opinion, this book has only one negative aspect. Although the characters are described and fully developed, many of them do not have names. They go by "He" or "She," and I had to reread sections multiple times to ensure I knew which character I was reading about. The book would have been easier to read if the characters had names.

This book only has two small errors that a professional editor could have easily missed. Overall, this professionally-edited and well-written book warrants 4 out of 4 stars because the narrative flowed smoothly. The one flaw with the lack of character names was not distracting enough to remove a star.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy fictional tales involving faeries and other immortal characters. I will caution readers that the book contains borderline profanity and mild sexual content. However, I do not believe this content will be offensive to most readers.

The Trees Are Dying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Judging by the cover, the book looks like a crime/horror novel. I'm intrigued by the story's plotline and would like to know the trees' ailment. The nameless characters, however, might pause a challenge.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

Twelve characters without names? That must be a challenge to read. Nonetheless, the plot sounds interesting.
Tulika Padmane
Currently Reading: Emergence
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Tulika Padmane »

The book is quite engaging with a different plotline. Gives you a new perspective to think about. I would love to read it. Great review.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

Trees are Dying sounds interesting. I also did not know that there is a difference between fairies and faeries. Am more curious why books on trees has mild sexual content and profanity. Nice review.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

The portrayal of changing seasons with trees gives me the visual from twilight movie! Would love to read the book! Thanks for the review!
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This sounds like a unique concept. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”