Official Review: The Trial of Phillis Wheatley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Official Review: The Trial of Phillis Wheatley

Post by Mwatu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Trial of Phillis Wheatley" by Ronald Wheatley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Several publishers refuse to publish a manuscript of poems by Phillis Wheatley. They doubt a black servant girl in the mid-1700s is capable of such a feat. To convince them to publish it, John Wheatley, her master, offers to get the most prominent men in Boston to sign an attestation that Phillis authored the manuscript. This attestation will act as a preface to the manuscript for all who read it to see. Should Phillis not be the author, the reputation of these prominent men is on the line.

Phillis Wheatley was brought to America from Africa as a child slave. The Wheatley family bought her and raised her as part of the family. They provide her with top-notch education with Mary Wheatley as her principal tutor. Mary is the daughter of John Wheatley and his wife, Susanna. By the age of eighteen, Phillis’ prowess in poetry is evident. During this time, The Governor of the Province of Massachusetts Bay Colony, Thomas Hutchinson, is concerned that The King will replace him. The people of Boston have staged riots due to hefty tax and unfavourable business policies imposed by the British colonisers. To Thomas, this trial presents a chance to encourage reconciliation between the politicians and prominent men that want a revolution with those loyal to the crown. Most importantly, however, this trial will determine whether Phillis Wheatley gets to publish her book. The Trial of Phillis Wheatley by Ronald B. Wheatley is a play revealing the events in the Wheatley mansion on the eve of the trial, in the Governor’s chambers the morning of the trial and at the trial itself.

I liked that the author provided enough information before the play to give context to the events and characters in the book. The provision of the characters' names and a timeline of important events helped me understand the play. This book was my first interaction with the story of Phillis Wheatley, and I did not at any point get lost. The author aptly relays who Phillis Wheatley is, her relevance and gives a glimpse into her personality. He also captures well the emotions of the characters. I enjoyed reading about the purity of the Wheatley family in their loyalty and love towards Phillis. I appreciated the rawness with which Nathaniel Wheatley, Mary’s twin brother, and John discuss their differences in politics. The same rawness is seen as Thomas and his Lieutenant Governor, Oliver, discuss the trial. The play format of the book made this a fast read, and I felt as though I was part of an audience watching actors play it out.

I found the book slow. Seeing this is a historical non-fiction book, I believe there was only so much the author could do to make it more engaging. The dialogue at some points was frustrating due to the old-era English and the parables or poems. I also felt that after the anticipation the book stirred in me, the trial was quick and underwhelming. The religious ministers also bear the initials D.D after their names without explanation on what that means. I encountered a few minor errors, and I believe the book is well edited.

I rate this book three out of four. I did not award it an extra star as I did not enjoy it as I hoped I would. The long buildup to the trial, the slightly cumbersome vocabulary and the underwhelming nature of the trial affected my enjoyment of the book. I did not rate it lower as I appreciated learning about Phillis Wheatley. I enjoyed the progressiveness of her family that enabled her to shine despite being a 'child from the barbaric wilds of Africa', as Oliver puts it.

I recommend this book to lovers of historical books and plays. The material would be ideal for teens and older people due to the vocabulary used and the nature of the material.

The Trial of Phillis Wheatley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”