Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonuga Mary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonuga-mary.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Re: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Post by Sonuga Mary »

Achebe was able to show the African culture most especially the Igbo culture of Nigeria in a clear and sharp mirror. His use of proverbs shows the richness of the culture in intellectual fight, the homeliness and security procured the feel of family in the culture. Achebe indeed looked through the glasses of wisdom and drew in types and shadows the independence of the country! This book has widened my horizon and made me look at things beyond the way they appear.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

It is now added to my list of books to read! Thanks!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Marson47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marson47.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Marson47 »

This book is clearly a very great book and i exposes the African culture exhibited mostly by the Igbo culture in Nigeria(as stated by Sonuga Mary). It one of the most intresting African culture book have read,great work by Chinua Achebe
kingayanfe

Post by kingayanfe »

It has never crossed my mind to read this book but with some of the reviews I think I'll give myself time for the book
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Thank you for recommending it to me. I have never read this book, so I have to read it. The seemed to be new for me, even though I have heard him so long.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Thank you for recommending it to me. I have never read this book, so I have to read it. The author seemed to be new for me, even though I have heard him so long.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

Having watched the TV series of Things Fall Apart as a child, I decided to read the book for myself 2 months ago and I must say, it is a classic. Very simple story telling, yet very deep. It tells the story of Africans from the point of view of Africans-something rarely seen-and tells it very well.
God rest your soul, Chinua Achebe!
Lubasi Mushaukwa

Post by Lubasi Mushaukwa »

How and what a wonderful book it is. Extremely eye opening and teaching a lesson.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I read this book in my high school but I can't remember much about it. I would like to read it again and now that I know it has a sequel, I better read that too.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I read this in high school and I don't remember many details from it, but I remember I really enjoyed it. It was one of my favorites that were required reading. I've decided to read it again now. I'd like to read some of Chinua Achebe's other work too.
ugochukwu331

Post by ugochukwu331 »

I really in love with the novel (things fall apart) it is interesting and I very happy that I read the novel
Dom1

Post by Dom1 »

I have. It's an awe insipiring take on Nigerian culture and the will to be. The main character has been the best if his kind during drought where his crops at times are dwindling. He basically had a traffic ending because of ego or pride. whatever else is testosterone induced. I'm so glad I read the book. It's up and down emotional rollercoaster ride is not one to pass on. Reading this will reach strong morals. Enjoy.
Mdsekyere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mdsekyere »

Yeah as part of the course I'm reading in the university
Res Alexis

Post by Res Alexis »

A classic display of how principals work against responsibilities. Falling from glory.Betraying personal principals in order to rise again to glory.Such is the way of life for some of us.Nevertheless such a story shows that the end justifies the means.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

rath010 wrote: 25 Oct 2014, 23:19 I'm really happy to have had the excuse to re-read this novel once again. Things Fall Apart is such a wonderful novel that tells of England colonization and the life effects it had on the people, cultures, and customs of Nigeria. I enjoyed this story when I initially read it in high school, but I loved revisiting it as a high school teacher.

I particularly love the time Chinua Achebe spends on developing the character of Okonkwo. This character has so much depth and experiences a transformation that makes for quite an anti-hero ending. I have always debated on focusing a project based on the character development of Okonwo - from this reading I will be doing so in the following year.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone who has not read it and who enjoys culture clashes intertwined with tribal folklore. Even if you don't "enjoy" this type of book, it's still worth your while to read it!
I really appreciate your take on a great piece of work. It was pretty disheartening seeing a work of art being described as some African story, or a tribal thing.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “Classic Books”