Official Review: River Current by M. Lee Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: River Current by M. Lee Martin

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "River Current" by M. Lee Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can you keep a secret? Most people love secrets. Some love to keep secrets, while others take pleasure in revealing them. We believe that hiding the truth will protect our loved ones. Even if you throw something into a river and watch it sink, there comes a time when the currents bring that object to the surface. River Current by M. Lee Martin comes under the genre of other fiction. The story occurred in Westfall, Missouri, from the 1950s until the mid-1970s. The citizens of Westfall discovered that well-intentioned secrets, similar to objects tossed into a river, eventually surface.

Despite his rocky relationship with his father, Ray's sense of humor won him many friends. He fell in love with Lydia the first time he saw her. Ray and Lydia had their future mapped out. Ray would study horticulture, and Lydia would go into nursing. Then, Deputy Culpepper put Ray in jail. By the time Ray walked free, suspicions had begun to arise in his mind. Could Ray trust his best friend, Shane? Why would Ray walk away from the love of his life without even saying goodbye? What would he find when he went back to claim his inheritance eighteen years later?

I enjoyed the author's technique of using dates as the chapter headings. The book began with a flashback that prepared the scene for the story. Different chapters carried the reader from the past to the present, filling in information about the town and the various events and characters affecting the story. The dates made it easier to follow the plot as the details fell into place. The last chapter supplied the final piece, giving the book a surprising yet satisfying ending.

This style of telling the story gave plenty of opportunity for character development. The scenes from the past enhanced the portrayal of the romantic couple, the bitter father, the angry deputy, the wise herbalist, among others. Each chapter supplied details and facts that tied the past with the present until the complete picture emerged. I loved how real the author made the characters appear as they came to life amidst their joys, sorrows, schemes, and desires.

Unfortunately, the book had numerous comma errors and a few missing capital letters. The book also used a moderate number of profane words. This was my only dislike of this book. There was one scene describing a rape that insinuates more than it explicitly shows. Readers will also encounter topics like racism, alcoholism, bullying, and promiscuity.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The well-developed characters, Ray and Lydia's romance, and the mysterious secret added to the story's appeal. The grammar errors compelled me to lower the score. I recommend River Current to readers who enjoy stories that contain themes of friendship, romance, and mystery. The sensitive topics and the profanity make the book suitable for older teens and adults.

River Current
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The allegory to a river is quite fascinating. Definitely an intriguing plot here.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book about secrets will be interesting to read. I'd also want to find out how things develop with Ray. Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Secrets are not always good or bad, and good intentions can often lead to bad things. Thank you so much for your recommendation, it seems like an interesting book!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the author put a lot of effort into shaping the characters. Thanks for the good review.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

It sounds like a great story, one I would like to read.

I suspect Shane had something to do with Ray's arrest and has probably snatched Ray's gf by now.

Thanks for an interesting, intriguing review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kennedy NC wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:24 The allegory to a river is quite fascinating. Definitely an intriguing plot here.
Stories about rivers are always interesting. You never know what you will find below the surface! Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

El_limitless wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:45 A book about secrets will be interesting to read. I'd also want to find out how things develop with Ray. Great review.
The author does an excellent job of keeping the secret drifting in the current until the very end. I hope you have a chance to read Ray's story. Thanks for stopping by.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 03:49 Secrets are not always good or bad, and good intentions can often lead to bad things. Thank you so much for your recommendation, it seems like an interesting book!
The secrets are what make the story intriguing! I hope you have a chance to read about Ray and how secrets affected his life. Thanks for reading and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

markodim721 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 13:13 I like that the author put a lot of effort into shaping the characters. Thanks for the good review.
Well-developed characters really make the story! The author's efforts produced an interesting and intriguing story. Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

zainherb wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 21:46 It sounds like a great story, one I would like to read.

I suspect Shane had something to do with Ray's arrest and has probably snatched Ray's gf by now.

Thanks for an interesting, intriguing review.
Are you trying to guess the secrets? You'll have to read the book to see if you are right! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :-)
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Well, I personally love keeping people's secrets and this introduction specifically got me hooked on reading your review to the end. Good job!
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

REIGNING20 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 04:28 Well, I personally love keeping people's secrets and this introduction specifically got me hooked on reading your review to the end. Good job!
Oh! Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope you have a chance to read the book - more secrets!!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Flashbacks and use of dates are features I love to find in books since I enjoy them in movies as well. Thanks for your recommendation.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kike17 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 18:00 Flashbacks and use of dates are features I love to find in books since I enjoy them in movies as well. Thanks for your recommendation.
I appreciated this feature so much! Dating the chapters helped to orient my thinking and get the facts in the right order. Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed your feedback!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”