Official Review: The Road by William A Boyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Official Review: The Road by William A Boyle

Post by Fabulous mind »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Road" by William A Boyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Win Burns, an almost senior citizen, and a divorcee finds love again with Beth. Beth is engaged to Rick for over twenty years, but they are yet to get married, and their relationship has deteriorated for years. Beth has no courage to leave her miserable relationship yet, but she finds herself in love with Win and seeks to know him better, his life journeys, adventures, and all the people that led him to her. Win, in a quest to win her over completely, gives her every detail of his life, including his childhood days, adventures he ventured into, his marriage life, career choices, memories, and regrets in life. Will Win's life story be enough to win Beth over? Following the love they have for each other, will these two people, despite having miserable relationships previously, find the happiness they seek?

The Road by William A. Boyle is an exciting book with a good amount of humor to entertain the reader. The book is a fictional account of the author's life. Using fictional names, William narrated everything about his life.

There were lots of amazing lessons to pick from this book, ranging from parenting to some advice in choosing a spouse and many other exciting things to discover in this book. What I loved most in this book was how Win made up for the inadequacies of his previous wife, Kate, in terms of parenting. Win's approach in dealing with his children was admirable, and it's worth emulating.

Also, through Win's experiences in the military, I was able to learn certain things. For example, when he gave his friend, Smith, a lesson on how to swim faster during their water survival training, I was able to learn some basic tricks to swim faster in water. This gladdened me.

On the downside, I was disappointed that the author didn't mention in the description that this book would have a second part. I was looking forward to learning a lot of things about Win's life, but I guess I will have to read book II of this book to satisfy my curiosity.

Considering that the storyline of this book was quite interesting, it was disheartening to come across distracting grammatical and punctuation errors. This book needs to be meticulously edited by a professional editor. Therefore, I’m deducting just a star and giving it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Choosing an audience for this book was somewhat difficult. However, after much thought on it, I'm convinced readers that enjoy memoirs with laugh-out-loud humor and witty dialogues will find this book entertaining, and I recommend it to them.

The Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This certainly sounds like a unique plot. I’m intrigued to know if Win can win Beth over simply with a detailed story of his life. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the instructive side of the book, that is, the lessons that the author shared with the readers.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Win's Story and the result of it will be a delightful read. I am not a swimmer but sure can read about it. Thank you for a great review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to know what became of win and beth. Was he able to win her over? I'll read the book to find out. Great review, by the way.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I definitely need a book like this. It could help with the stress of the day. Thanks for the great review!
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I felt this sorrowful reading about broken relationships and engagement. But I'll love to pick up this.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”