Official Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Contagion Domination" by William Nisol.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a story that commences in Wuhan, China, in October 2019, from a brilliant virologist, Dr. Zhou Zhihao, who has always sought her father's love and approval ever since her mother died giving birth to her. In a bid to gain her father's love, she follows his instruction, against her better judgment, to start creating a deadly virus and its cure. This would trigger a set of events that would lead to the most recent pandemic: COVID-19. Contagion Domination: The Fall of the American Empire by William Nisol is a fiction novel that explores how the hunger for world domination drove the Chinese government to exploit the deadly virus in destroying the American economy while putting China in pole position to become the most powerful nation in the world.

While the book is fiction, it expertly mirrors many real-life people, places, and events and forces the reader to consider a scary conspiracy theory, as we encounter the murder-suicide case of Professor Liu Bing, who was working on a COVID-19 cure, and the events around President Trump falling ill from the virus. From assassinations and cover-ups to mass murder and oppression, we get to see just how far a lust for power can drive humans.

At 135 pages, the book is fast-paced, and not a lot of time is spent on character development; however, the relevance of the story to what is going on in the world today took most of my attention, as I hoped that the characters that opposed the Chinese government's plans would come out on top despite their slim chances. In a high-stakes story like this one, readers can expect a lot of suspense while reading, which was my favorite feature of the book. I could also relate to some of the characters' reasons for their actions. A good example was Dr. Zhou Zhihao blindly creating the virus and cure initially without asking questions because she hoped to develop a connection with her father.

The story is told in the third-person perspective, and the author employs a simple writing style and puts a lot of effort into describing the environment in each setting in detail, which, while I appreciated, felt time-consuming at times. One aspect of the book that requires some improvement is editing. I found over ten errors while reading. Even though they were minor errors and the book seemed like it was professionally edited, a better job could have been done in this area, as it was distracting.

Overall, Contagion Domination: The Fall of the American Empire is an entertaining, astonishing read. I did not mind the use of real-life characters in the story, but some readers find it difficult to separate fact from fiction and may want to draw conclusions from the events in this book. Except this was the author's aim, it would have been better to avoid including real-life characters. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, with the errors I found convincing me against rewarding the book with the maximum rating. I couldn't go any lower than the actual rating because I enjoyed reading the book. Readers who enjoy political fiction novels and suspenseful reads will enjoy reading this book.

Contagion Domination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book about the emanation of the deadly Covid-19 will be interesting to read. I'd love to find out how it started and the rationale behind introducing it into the world. I'm most definitely giving this a read.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

A fast-paced book about the Covid-19 situation definitely sounds appealing right now. You made a compelling case for this book. The usage of real-life characters would confuse me too, so thank you for clarifying that. Great review!
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Another documentary about COVID-19. I'll check it out.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

The premise sounds compelling but given the rise of anti-Asian sentiments and violence in America due to COVID-19, I am not too keen on a book that seems to fuel the hate, fictional or not. The use of real-life characters also doesn't help. Fantastic review by the way.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Tia22
Currently Reading: Nadira
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tia22.html
Latest Review: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence by Jennie Linnane

Post by Tia22 »

While Covid-19 has been a huge discussion topic for the past year, it is not too late to enjoy another theory. I am interested to see how the author blended fiction and real life together to explain Covid-19. I will be checking this book out!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This is interesting considering everything that’s happening today. It’s definitely intriguing but also scary to think that this is at least one possibility of how everything started. Thanks for the great review
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Hmmmm! Sounds familiar. I love books like this, even now when these things are really happening. My family thinks I’m crazy. I think I’ll read this one.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This is a fast-paced political thriller about a fictional event on how covid 19 started. I like reading these kinds of books, it is interesting and very entertaining. Thanks for your review.
Petronila O
Favorite Book: Annihilation
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Petronila O »

Takes me back to pandemic situations, nice and interesting, I would recommend
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

A fiction story based on the Covid-19 virus sure sound intriguing and scary at the same time. Great review.
Molz_20
Favorite Book: How To Beat The Dream Stealers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molz-20.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Molz_20 »

Although I'm curious to read about fictional events on how covid-19 started, I am also worried that I might draw unhealthy conclusions—especially if some real-life characters were used. Therefore, i will pass.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”