Official Review: They're having a Laugh by Bob Price

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Official Review: They're having a Laugh by Bob Price

Post by Eriny Youssef »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They're having a Laugh" by Bob Price.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rupert Streaker, the British Prime Minister, is a playboy. Intelligent and bold as a political figure, Streaker is not one to be overtaken by worries. Well, at least that was the case before a specific piece of news hit the headlines. A leaked picture of Streaker having sex with one of his undersecretaries was all over the news. Jonathan Bandip, the problem solver and Streaker's confidant, took care of the scandal as usual.

They're having a Laugh by Bob Price is a fictional, politically themed story. In a parallel universe, the British Prime Minister is Rupert Streaker. The fictional world is very similar to the real circumstances where COVID is jeopardizing the political situation. Streaker faces challenges that are capable of ruining his reputation and stripping him of any honorable status. His marriage also hangs by a thread.

What I liked about this book is how fun it was. It's common to expect political stories to be boring or too complicated. This one, however, was entertaining and had a quick pace. I also liked the crafting of the characters. Bob Price did a great job painting a picture of each character's personality without actually describing it. The personalities were seamlessly revealed to the reader through dialogues, body language, and other characters' opinions. Some examples of this type of exposition are the characters of Jessica, Monica, Bernard Allfores, and Bandip.

The one thing that can be improved is the editing of the text. Unfortunately, I found multiple errors. They were mostly editorial and punctuation-related. Although they didn't impede the communication of the events and the understanding of the text, they affected the overall reading experience. They're nothing that can't be fixed with another round of proofreading.

I give They're having a Laugh by Bob Price 3 out of 4 stars. The book is interesting and shows a wide range of human characters. It also exposes the things that happen on the dark side of politics in a way that is thought-provoking. The only thing that held back the fourth star is the editorial inaccuracy.

I recommend this book to fans of political fiction and scandalous dramas. The story involves themes like extramarital affairs, sexual intercourse, and blackmail. The text contains coarse language and occasional profanities. To this end, I believe the book is not suitable for the younger audience or people who are uncomfortable with this type of writing style. Otherwise, I think the book is very entertaining and fitting for the events we are experiencing nowadays.

They're having a Laugh
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I definitely would’ve expected it to be slower and more complex, but I’m glad the author was able to write a good pace with a captivating plot. I hope they’re able to fix the errors you’ve mentioned. Thanks for the great review
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like an entertaining and intriguing read! Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Booklover Becca wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:42 I definitely would’ve expected it to be slower and more complex, but I’m glad the author was able to write a good pace with a captivating plot. I hope they’re able to fix the errors you’ve mentioned. Thanks for the great review
I'm with you on the more complex part. Thank you for taking the time to read it ❤
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Smmwallace wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:30 This book sounds like an entertaining and intriguing read! Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
Thank you for reading it!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book is one of its kind. And I love the theme, political scandal and relatable characters. Thanks for a great review.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 23 May 2021, 07:01 This book is one of its kind. And I love the theme, political scandal and relatable characters. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you for reading it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”