Official Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait" by Ray Dyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The REMF: Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer with Stephen Dwyer centers on the theme of war. It narrates an up-close and personal encounter of the horrors of the Vietnam War. Death and destruction are inevitable in wars, but what does it entail to experience death so close and so frequently? How do soldiers deal with the trauma of living every day on borrowed time? Does a broken spirit get to heal again? All is fair in love and war, or is it? What of the aftermath? Facing the possibility of dying at any moment and seeing the corruption of the body and soul do have undesirable effects on soldiers. For most, the battle does not always end, even when the war is over.

The REMF: Hurry Up and Wait follows soldiers' lives in the military base in Long Thong, Rocket City. We are immersed in these soldiers' lives, the relationship dynamics with higher-ranking officers, and their quest to survive. Life in Long Thong is unpredictable; one minute, the men are working on their ships, the next, they are diving for cover from mortars and rockets. Going on missions is suicidal, and the waiting is nerve-wracking. Of course, it is not all bad news, as they learn to find solace in their shared bond as comrades in arms. Some, unfortunately, find a way to numb the pain via substance abuse. For some, horrifying death awaits, and for some who are fortunate to leave unmaimed, the ghost of their war experiences is ever-present.

Although this book is about war, it isn't suspenseful, as it is not about trigger-happy commandos making their way through the Southern Vietnam jungle. It is slow-paced and yet powerful. The reader becomes familiar with life in the military base, almost like the soldiers experiencing it. The routine, the appearance of normalcy, the peculiar characters, the bond, and the mishaps are all strong points that drive home the concept of hurrying up and waiting. Readers are, however, not spared the horrors of war; although subtle, an imaginative mind can conjure up the image of death and helplessness, the blatant disregard for human lives, and the questions that these raise. This book offers a first-hand experience that we never hope to have. The author's descriptive style creates vivid imageries that bring the stories to life, and his subtle commentaries are thought-provoking. Although this book is a long read, it is not tiring; an investment into the characters' fate and the imaginative yet straightforward language makes it a book guaranteed to leave a lasting impression on readers.

On the flip side, this book needs thorough editing. There are a lot of errors present, grammatical and otherwise. For example, on page 118, a new first sergeant, J.M. Enrico, replaced First Sergeant Roland Peterson. However, Peterson kept being mentioned in place of Enrico. A case in point is Peterson's (or should I say Enrico's) relationship with Bertha on pages 224, 228, and 246. This phrase on page 344: "After Enrico - of Donut Dolly fame -..." shows a reversal to the correct name. (Bertha was a Donut Dolly). Page 229-230 also mentioned Peterson instead of Enrico, as well as pages 246 and 247. The table of contents also had some words repeated: "After Christmas'', "The Years After," and "Glossary." The author's inclusion of the glossary to explain military terms is commendable. However, some explanations are missing (SOP, FTA), and the constant shuttling between reading and checking the glossary might be interruptive to an enjoyable read. I suggest some terms be explained in the body of work (as was done for some), especially the abbreviations.

I will recommend this book to readers with an interest in war stories. This book is more on the subtle yet thought-provoking view of war. There are many swear and vulgar words, and some scenes might be triggering for some readers. Readers who want to learn more about Vietnam War should try out this book. Although it does not dive deep into the antics of the war, it is an introduction and, by extension, a projection of the general circumstances of war. Finally, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The ending is not altogether hopeless; the stories of war and survival are meant to inspire us to choose peace over war and life over death.

the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I've always looked for the human nature of soldiers, and they always seem to have none. They have always seemed so robotic and without emotions to me. I'd love to discover their human side through the pages of this book. How do they really feel witnessing deaths around them every other day? If broken, how do they recover in time for the next war?
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Reading this review, I already see a gory kind of novel.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope the author can work on the errors you’ve mentioned because this sounds like a powerful message, despite the slower pace. Great review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

This book contains alot of historic elements. This will be helpful for my field of study. Thanks for an awesome review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Books on wars and the aftermath effects are a no-brainer for me. Thanks for the review. I would definitely check it out.
Dee Mood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dee Mood »

Great review. Made me interested in reading the book.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love reading historical fiction and war stories and I don't mind the swear words occasionally. I would read this book. I just hope the error is corrected as it is a big mistake and confusing to interchange the names of characters. Thanks for your review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting fictional book highlighting death, destruction, trauma, and It narrates an up-close and personal encounter of the horrors of the Vietnam War. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

An insightful revelation of what the Vietnam War was really like. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Though I rarely care for war stories, I think the slow pace of this one is significant and it helps drive the point home. I hope, as you say, that books like this inspire us to choose peace.
Thank you for such an insightful review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting book to read about a realistic experience of war beyond any glorification or at least any report censored to avoid the darkest bits. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Many American soldiers have perished in the Vietnam War, while many more are scarred forever with the traumas they experienced during their time there. This book will be a good read for those who want to have a look at that war.
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by AzmainReviews »

Knowing from your review that the book is a slow-paced story made me want to read it. I like slow-paced war stories.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”