Official Review: The Brothers Silver by Marc Jampole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: The Brothers Silver by Marc Jampole

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Brothers Silver" by Marc Jampole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Products of a dysfunctional family, Jules and Leon Silver stay with their mother after their father Edwin divorces Ethel. However, their mother's suicide attempts take a toll on their developing minds. Due to her recurring admissions to a mental institution, the two brothers find themselves living from one U.S. state to another and sometimes under the roof of their relatives. With irresponsible, selfish parents Jules strives to pull it together even as Leon's behavior becomes disruptive and violent at school. The absence of stability and their childhood trauma from being exposed to abuse and maltreatment affect their interaction with people and the eventual relationships they enter. Will they have a chance at happiness? Will Jules be strong enough to save his brother from self-destruction? The Brothers Silver by Marc Jampole presents Jules and Leon as they traverse a long, restless journey toward adulthood beset with longings, frustrations and disappointments.

Jampole featured a set of interesting and relatable characters; the backstories made me understood where they were coming from. It was like I was a psychologist analyzing the behavior and actions of the characters based on their experiences. I felt the brothers' unspoken longings for a stable home and an intact family; I could visualize them feeling alone and confused. But the backstory about Edwin Silver did not lessen the dislike I had for this narcissistic and racist character; I can think of several people with similar behavior.

The author creatively narrated some parts. I particularly liked how the author used emotions like anger, sadness and guilt as characters bickering among themselves. Jampole used this narrating style to convey the conflicts raging inside Jules; I could not think of a more apt way of presenting this part. I observed the book tended to be poetic in style. The author liked to exhaust concepts with elaborate, flowery words.

I enjoy stories that enable readers to think and relate them to real-life situations. Many readers will be able to relate to the family issues, relationships and situations Jampole presented in his book. One statement that stuck with me even long after reading the novel was about respecting and honoring one's parents even when they were not honorable or respectable. Moreover, sensitive themes like depression and anxiety made this book timely and relevant.

There were minimal grammatical errors like missing and incorrect punctuation marks. Also, I found a few misspelled words.

It was an engaging novel, and the minimal grammatical errors led me to believe it was professionally edited. Thus, I give The Brothers Silver by Marc Jampole 4 out of 4 stars.

If you like character-driven fiction, this is for you. This book is not for young readers because of the depiction of non-monogamous relationships, suicide attempts and drug addiction.

The Brothers Silver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Wao! what a wonderful, detailed review. I am really curious to read the book.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's the Silver's story. With a back story the characters action become well understood but aren't justified. It will make for a deep read with the topic it holds.
Thank you for a great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The author seems to have done a good job with this story. The book cover also helps me visualise Jules and Leon based on your review. Thanks for a lovely review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like it would be an emotional topic, especially if readers can relate to the issues the siblings are facing. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”