Official Review: Charlie Hungloe's Greatest Challenge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Official Review: Charlie Hungloe's Greatest Challenge

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie Hungloe's Greatest Challenge" by Harry L. Campbell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlie Hungloe’s Greatest Challenge is a short action-crime novel for young adults covering events that take place over four days in Mesquite, Nevada. Written by Harry L. Campbell III, it is the first book in the Charlie Hungloe's Adventure Series.

One August morning, teenager Greg Jackson launches a gun attack on the students of Hollingsworth High School, injuring seven children. Jackson is a member of a group known as “the black coat gang.” A few hours later, a crisis point is reached when the gang carries out two more attacks. The city’s mayor demands action, and a special task force is formed to catch the gang. Detectives Charlie Hungloe and Samantha “Sam” Sterling are the two detectives assigned to the case. Together, they set out to hunt down the gang and arrest its leader, Master Tan. Their pursuit of Tan involves them in perilous situations that require them to use their expertise in martial arts. Will the pair survive this adventure? Will they succeed in capturing Master Tan? Will they ever stop arguing long enough to complete their mission?

I liked that the book is a fast, one-session read. It is very much driven by its action and adventure aspects rather than its characterization. As a result, the story zips along as Charlie and Sam hunt down the terrorists and their leader. The dialogue, too, contributes to the pace of the story. When they’re not shouting instructions to each other, Charlie and Sam spend most of the time engaged in verbal sparring matches, so most of their conversations consist of snappy put-downs or rejoinders.

On the negative side, I found the underlying message of the story hard to fathom. The book is published by Christian Faith Publishing, a fact which could give prospective readers the impression that this book is a religious text of some kind. This seems to be confirmed by the author who, in the preface, flags up a Christian moral to the story. He quotes lines from the Bible, including a verse from John: “Jesus said in 1 John 4:8, ‘Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.’ For this reason, I wrote the book, Charlie Hungloe’s Greatest Challenge, because love is often out there but hidden.” (page 7) If the idea is that the main characters, Charlie and Samantha, have some hidden love for each other that somehow exemplifies Christian teaching, then it simply doesn’t work.

I am awarding this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting one star because the story isn't strong either as a Christian allegory or as an action novel for young adults. I found a few errors but, overall, the book is well edited. There is one reference to a couple “making out”, and one comment about flatulence that 10-year-old boys will find hilarious, but otherwise there is nothing in the book that would traumatize teenagers or even children on the cusp of their teenage years. If you’re in that group and you’re looking for a short, action-packed adventure story, then this book might suit you.

Charlie Hungloe's Greatest Challenge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A very good review by Brendan Donaghy. He has clearly told the good points and errors of the book. I am really curious to read the book.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's crazy violence by the gang. I agree that the hidden message is hard to believe. It really doesn't feel like a good book for Y.A. Thanks for a Great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I enjoyed reading this review and the attempt at Christian allegory is hilarious to me. Thank you for a lovely review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I appreciate that you shared your insights about the allegory. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a fun and intense read for when you don’t have a lot of time to devote to it. Thanks for the honest review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”