Official Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Official Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Weed Lady" by Shea R Embry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jesi’s mind was made up the moment she saw George. She was particularly struck by the solitary life that George led. Moreover, she thought it was strange that George had a dog named Zippy, who had a pink leash. For all that, Jesi completely blew her fuse the day George called telling her to get rid of the “weed lady.” Shea R. Embry’s novel, The Weed Lady, is a touching story on how not to judge a book by its cover.

Jesi didn’t like anyone telling her what to do. As a result, she was almost always at loggerheads with her close friends. When the Weed Lady showed up at their doorstep crying, Jesi didn’t want to listen to her girlfriend’s, Nicole’s, apprehension about her. Rather, even though it was early in the morning, Jesi banged on their neighbors’ door, and in the process, woke them up. Even when her neighbors (Rachael and Jules) helped set up a camera to catch the Weed Lady’s activities, Jesi showed her ungratefulness by angrily ordering them out of her house when she thought they were scheming against her.

I enjoyed this book because Jesi was taught a lesson she couldn’t possibly forget. Her quick judgment about George’s circumstance was completely unfounded and unfair. Embry appeared to suggest that Jesi’s Sicilian background contributed to her fieriness. All the same, I thought that for one who was older than thirty-five, Jesi was way too spoilt by her parents to change. Despite her advanced age, she didn’t work; instead, she relied on her parents and her lover, Nicole, for her upkeep.

As well, I liked that the novel featured a remarkable friendship amongst these girlfriends. It was amazing that they even found a way of maintaining a regular relationship with a deceased pal. Furthermore, their adventurous spirit was continuously nurtured and stimulated through partaking of their signature drink, meditating, dancing, and cussing. That notwithstanding, their sense of individuality remained strong and was encouraged within their group. That’s why Nicole and Rachael could put up with Jesi’s abrasiveness; or why, at one point, Rachael was concerned when it seemed like Jesi had adopted some mild mannerisms.

On the flip side, even though the novel wasn’t exceptionally edited, the number of errors I came across wasn’t enough to reduce its rating. Since there was nothing dislikeable about the book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

As I finish, this book deals with at least two characters coping with serious challenges in their lives. Therefore, it should interest anyone looking for something inspirational. At the same time, it may be unsuitable for readers who dislike books with a cast of predominantly strong female characters.

The Weed Lady
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like an interesting take on not judging too quickly. I’m glad Jesus learns her lessons and I’m hoping she can end with more understanding of people. Thanks for the insightful review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the instructive thought that runs through the book. Thanks for the great review.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

The dangers of making wrong assumptions about people are discussed in this book. I absolutely loved the plot, going to add this to my shelf.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Jessie sounds like someone you don't plan to meet. A good storyline. Thank you for the review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I am not such a big fan of “girl power” and these characters seem like people I would not want to hang out with. Then again, I might be totally wrong. Maybe I should not judge a book by it’s covers... 😉 Thank you for the interesting review, I enjoyed reading it!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I absolutely love strong female characters. Lovely review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”