Official Review: OOF by Strobe Witherspoon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Official Review: OOF by Strobe Witherspoon

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "OOF" by Strobe Witherspoon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An excerpt from an unpublished book by Strobe Witherspoon is leaked, and an "Online Outrage Fiesta" (OOF) starts. Strobe is criticized from every online media possible. His life is scrutinized, and some secrets are revealed. OOF gives in-depth details of the ensuing events.

OOF explores how social media can either make or mar someone. False information has a way of destroying people's reputations. What was meant to be a fictional story by Strobe Witherspoon was misinterpreted as a ploy against the country. Seemingly being criticized by thousands wasn't enough, and now Strobe finds himself as a primary character in a widely accepted conspiracy theory. Strobe is in danger and goes into hiding to protect himself. How well did this work out for him? The story you will find in this book will make your hair stand on end.

OOF is a satirical book filled with life lessons. From the story, the reader can see how far misinterpretation goes to damage someone. Being quick to believe everything we see or read on social media without proper research is something people should stop doing. If adequate research was done on Strobe's leaked book chapter, I believe that things wouldn't escalate to the point they got. Not everything on social media is true.

One thing I greatly admired in this book was its presentation. Strobe brilliantly combined fictional events and non-fiction tales to the point I couldn't tell each apart. I took the book as real from the start. Some of the details were confusing at first, especially when Strobe was projected to have a seeming dual personality as an author and editor. It took me a while to put two and two together to know that this was all part of the satirical plan. I wouldn't want to give away spoilers; therefore, I wouldn't give more instances. The author harnessed his writing creativity to a considerable extent.

However, the only confusion that I didn't appreciate was seeing excerpts from FLOTUS: A memoir most times without warning. FLOTUS: A memoir is Strobe Witherspoon's account of a woman's rise from a nobody to the First Lady of the United States. It caused an initial upset, as I couldn't correlate the two. I finally got the hang of it much later in the read. It wasn't a big issue, but I thought to mention it for readers who might not be patient with the author when they encounter this challenge.

I had no severe dislikes for OOF and would give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was well edited, as I noticed minimal errors in it. I would recommend it to people interested in satirical narratives.

OOF
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Anyone who enjoys funny, clever satire will enjoy this book for sure. Good review!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

OOF is like an everyday thing. A picture, a message, without being verified can shake the whole internet. And here a Fiction story's Author becomes a victim of OOF. Sounds scary. Thanks for a Great Review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a great name for the book! Strange he inserts bits from his other books randomly, but I’m glad you liked it overall. Thanks for the great review
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I had been waiting for a book talking about the era of scandal and clicks that we are living in. Would definitely pick this one up. Great job on the review, it's very well written.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

This seems to an informative read that tackles the real-life theme of online media. Overall, this is a likable read that I must add to my shelve for reading it later. Thanks for this review.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea, so I won't be reading it, but I know how social media can be brutal at times. Wrong information is everywhere, and these trolls that bully people by hiding behind a screen have become a huge nuisance in recent years. I feel bad for Strobe for having to deal with something like this. I hope people who read the genre end up enjoying it. Great job on the review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Even though this is satire and very funny it could be a great book for monthly forum discussion. Sure it is meant to entertain the reader but the greater good is making us all rethink social media, angry online mobs, and judging people. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an educational fiction satire highlighting political satire, public scrutiny, secrecy, societal norms, brazen honesty, and life lessons. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a unique OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @StrobeWither on the BOTD selection.
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

Satirical books are very enjoyable and I feel this is an untapped genre which still hasn't risen to its full potential. The title is quite unique and the plot seems even more. The way social media has taken over our lives its scary. One leak, one tweet, one comment can be misinterpreted in many ways. Little issues get snowballed into something else and it's mayhem all the way. Great review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

It appears this book contains a lot of truth in it. Too many people believe everything they read on the internet and this does damage reputations. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

One thing is true, don't believe anything you read on social media coz there are lots of fake news going around. This sounds like a funny and entertaining read though. Thanks for your review.
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I love and appreciate fiction novels. Their stories may be fictional but they often couldn't be further from the truth. I look forward to reading this novel. Congrats on being BOTD.
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

OOF written by strobe. As far as I am concerned I can remark that it is a satirical book. And we can not consider effectively everything which is passing internet however we have to find out about them before accepting them.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

OOF is a satirical book filled with life lessons. Yhe book helps the reader to see how far misinterpretation goes to damage someone. It explores how social media can either make or mar someone. This is a significant topic.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”