Official Review: Prodigies by J. Rasaun Fowler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Prodigies by J. Rasaun Fowler

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prodigies" by J. Rasaun Fowler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prodigies: Alter Ego by J. Rasaun Fowler is a fantasy and action novel. The book contains the themes of friendship, resilience, and self-discovery.

Rein is a smart twelve-year-old boy. The only problem is he keeps spacing out and losing control of his body. He also gets these weird dreams where he sees himself in another realm. There, he fights with instruments and more speed than humanly possible. Although Rein knows he’s not an average kid, it’s hard to explain what’s happening to him. Fortunately, he comes across a supernatural being, Pasce, who is willing to mentor him. But then, can Pasce be trusted, or is he in this for his gain? As the story unfolds, Rein finds himself caught in a war between these supernatural beings. Can he develop the skills needed to save his life?

Meanwhile, somewhere in Las Vegas, there is a strange occurrence, a lake is frozen over. The presence of supernatural beings has started occurring among humans. Can the investigators find answers before all hell breaks loose on the Earth?

I love the author’s writing style and language structure. The book was relatively easy to read. Although the book contained a severe plot, it was well crafted with light-hearted humor. The story flowed beautifully, as the author was quite detailed in the descriptions of each scene. The book had an air of suspense, though not exaggerated, but just enough to keep you turning the pages.

My favorite character was Rein. He was intelligent and witty. Also, I admired the courage he demonstrated throughout the book. Another character I fell in love with from the beginning was Dia, a young supernatural girl. I loved how she moved and carried herself. She was practically untouchable till Rein came along. I enjoyed the air of mystery the author built around her. She’s one character I would love to know more about if there is ever a sequel to this intriguing novel. I loved how the author managed the switch between flashbacks and the present scenes.

Although the storyline was interesting, Rein had to acquire several energy types that were a bit distracting. Other than that, there is nothing to dislike about the book.

Unfortunately, the book was not well edited. I found several grammatical and punctuation errors. Therefore, I am rating the book 3 out of 4 stars.

In conclusion, I recommend the book to lovers of action novels and stories about supernatural occurrences. I’m looking forward to a sequel to this novel.

Prodigies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

Your review was great though this genre of the book does not fit my taste, otherwise thanks for sharing.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The coming-of-age story of a young boy who discovers his supernatural abilities. I like that the author presented i a palatable and intriguing manner.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The fiction and fantasy of a 12 year old boy. It seems to be interesting book. A good review. I plan to read it.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope the author can fix the errors you’ve pointed out because this sounds like an adventurous story and the characters are well-developed. Thank you for the great review!
Lila Ilak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-ilak.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Lila Ilak »

This sounds like a delightful read for those who enjoy young adult coming-of-age stories. Thank you for sharing you review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”