Official Review: Rangers Quest by Edward L Gates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Rangers Quest by Edward L Gates

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rangers Quest" by Edward L Gates.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ranger's Quest is a nonfiction book by Edward L. Gates. It can be categorized under both the science fiction and historical fiction genres. It is the first installation in the Charlie Turlock Ranger Series.

Archie Campbell lives in the year 2275. When a tragic accident occurs at work, which he fears he will be pinned for. Archie escapes through the use of a time belt to the year 1862. Once there, he is faced with the challenge of learning the survival skills he needs to navigate that era while evading the time agents who are after him. He takes on the alias 'Charlie Turlock'. He comes across a band of Rangers and falls in-love with the idea of becoming one himself. He pursues this dream while trying as best as he can not to disrupt history.

Ranger's Quest was engaging on a number of levels. Some of the characters were typical of the type you'd expect to find in a Cowboy story. However, the author took time to add depth to his characters, which made this book that much more interesting. For example, when we are first introduced to Archie, he is unsure of himself, prone to succumb to anxiety attacks, and is accustomed to the conveniences of modern living. Life in the 1800s has a dramatic effect on his outlook, his self-assuredness, and he learns to deal with his anxiety. The author presented this change in Archie/Charlie in a way that made him truly relatable.

Another aspect I really loved about Ranger's Quest was discovering what daily life was like in the 1800s. For example, the first man Charlie encounters is a blacksmith by trade. The author went in-depth on little details about the activities of a blacksmith - without becoming academic about it. This made the story feel that much more authentic.

I found nothing to dislike about this book and enjoyed every bit of it. I'm of the opinion that it will be enjoyed by a wide audience, from those who enjoy SciFi to those who enjoy historical fiction. It is also well edited - I could not find any errors. Thus, I see it fit to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves nothing else!

Rangers Quest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like an intriguing and entertaining read although not really my genre so I'll give it a miss. Great detailed review though, well done.
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

wow a combination of sci-fi and historical fiction, something i never tried but i think i will love this book. and it also has the time travelling thing so yeah i will definitely try this book. Thank You for the review.!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Enjoyed reading the review, succinct yet detailed. Congrats on a terrific review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Time travel and rangers, I love it. I’ll be adding this to my list of must-reads. Great review
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a well-written time-travel story. I like Archie/Charlie already. Thank you for a great review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”