Official Review: The Last Plan by Ronald Fowler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: The Last Plan by Ronald Fowler

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Plan" by Ronald Fowler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After David Moore, an active duty Marine, helplessly watches his friend, Andrew, die in an ambush, he subsequently suffers from head trauma and has to leave the military. Integrating back into civilian life, David decides to attend college. Here he studies engineering and meets his best friend and classmate, Billy.

As the future unfolds, David leverages his connections and his friend's intelligence and creativity to build a company that becomes crucial to America's national security. David's humanitarian side and determination in his business endeavors see him thrive and quickly rise to prominence. Inspired by a mixture of personal grief and business circumstance, David soon decides to run for the office of the president, which he wins. After the explosion of a nuclear weapon a year into his tenure, things are about to get a lot more interesting and dangerous for the new president and the country. What grief inspires David to run for office? What are the successes he records in his business dealings? Is there any connection between his business and his presidency? How does the president navigate the new problems brought about by his new role as the leader of the free world?

In The Last Plan, the author, Ronald Fowler, employed a unique timeline strategy in telling the story, which was the best thing about this book for me. The book began with David as president of the United States and then went back in time to connect David's past to his present. The idea of this was to give a backstory on David's life to show how he got to the White House without losing a grip on the current happenings. Fowler ensured that each flashback achieved its purpose and didn't veer from the central point of the plot. Besides this "timeline pendulum" being a unique storytelling strategy, it helped flesh out David's personality sufficiently. It gave me insight into his thought process and some of his actions as he experienced everything, from failure and grief to triumph and joy.

I enjoyed the details in the plot of this story. Fowler leveraged his wealth of experience from his years of military service to create a superb storyline that had me glued to the book. There were also moments of humor in the story; I found myself laughing hard in these moments. An excellent example of this was how David rarely missed a chance to share inoffensive jokes about Billy's stutter.

This was an all-around enjoyable tale, and I wouldn't mind reading it again. Of course, it is the first book in a series, which means there's more to come in this story. That's good news to my ears. I found only one grammar error in this story, which tells me that it was professionally edited. There was absolutely nothing I hated about this book, so I have no problem giving it 4 out of 4 stars. My enjoyment of the story, the unique timeline strategy, the presence of humor, and the book's professional editing are my reasons for giving it a full rating. I recommend this book to people who enjoy military elements or global politics at play in a story.

The Last Plan
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds like a great story where we find a soldier turned president who also runs a company and top secret business takes place. It's a tricky way to write with flashbacks and I am glad it worked out for the book. Great Review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

David's story sounds really interesting. I'd love to find out how it all turned out for him.

Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a life this character has had. I’m extremely interested in finding out how he handles such troubles as the president. Thanks for the great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The use of a 'time pendulum' is one I also enjoy a lot in books. The storyline sounds engaging as well. Thank you for this lovely review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

The element of flash back perfectly employed is amazing. Sometimes authors don't do great with it. Great review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Uzo_Reviews wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 02:13 The element of flash back perfectly employed is amazing. Sometimes authors don't do great with it. Great review.
I loved this too especially when it projects visibly the misery that's to be unlocked. That point of dissolution where all the suspense are bared.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”