Official Review: The Roots of Roswell by Michell Pulliam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: The Roots of Roswell by Michell Pulliam

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Roots of Roswell" by Michell Pulliam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a revised review of The Roots of Roswell: A poignant coming of age story by Michell Pulliam. Gia Bennett grew up in the South during the 1970s and 1980s with a life of privilege that few black girls had. She either had her clothes handmade or went to New York and Paris to shop to be unique. Gia was the first black captain of her cheerleader squad, and she dated Rob, the football hero. She marries Charles, has three children, one grandchild, and has a perfect life as a pastor’s wife. She was an accomplished public relations executive for a Fortune 500 company in the Atlanta area. A career she flourished in and was ready to retire from. Gia goes to her 25th college reunion and plans to visit her childhood friends for the weekend. She wakes up in ICU after being pistol-whipped and left to die. Who and why would someone do this to her? Whatever happened to Rob? This book is Gia’s life story spanning over seven decades. Follow her journey by reading this book

There are several aspects of this book that I like. Mr. Pulliam does a fantastic job describing the characters and the emotions surrounding them. I could picture how they looked and could feel their feelings of love, jealousy, pride, frustration, and fear. This book brought forth the realization that you never know the lasting impact you make on people, no matter how innocent or mundane it may seem to you. On the other hand, I agree with Gia’s Grandma Bessie, who always said, “Ain’t no need worrying, cause God knows and sees it all, and will make it right.” I grew up believing this.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The plot flows smoothly from Gia getting ready to attend her reunion, back to her childhood, and then moves forward through her life. Starting with the reunion preparations to going back to her childhood was intriguing because I did not know what the reunion had to do with the plot. This book was a page-turner because I wanted to see how all of the events were tied together.

This exceptionally well-edited book was an enjoyable read, and I gladly give this book 4 out of stars. There is no reason to give this book a lower rating.

I recommend this book to fans of romance and crime thriller books. Although the characters in this book are Christians and the story revolves around their lives, I do not believe anything in this book would be offensive to non-Christians.

The Roots of Roswell
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This is a wonderfully detailed review and very intriguing. I will have to give this book a read. Great review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The story went from a beautiful life to an ICU. It's a Great review. Thank you!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a beautifully-written story and definitely leaves me wanting to know how it ends. Thank you for the great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”