Official Review: Helpless (Book one) by Cheyenne Stoddard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Helpless (Book one) by Cheyenne Stoddard

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Helpless (Book one)" by Cheyenne Stoddard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Talon Adams' life is a nightmare. He is tortured mercilessly at school and then goes home to endure more brutality at the hands of his miserable parents. Born with albinism, his paperwhite skin and pink eyes are a constant source of anguish. Everyone in his town treats him like a freak—he feels incredibly alone.

At the brink of his suffering, a dark-haired boy named David moves into town and begins attending Talon's high school. He takes an intense interest in the white-haired boy and starts protecting Talon from the vicious bullies. Talon is skeptical, wondering who this mystery person is and what he wants. No one has ever shown him a shroud of compassion. Still, it's impossible to ignore his burgeoning feelings for David. Can he trust him?

Helpless (Book one) is the first book in a new series written by Cheyenne Stoddard. It has a little bit of everything for readers—coming-of-age, romance, and a touch of the supernatural weaved into the storyline. The book takes place in Milan, Ohio, where the population is small, and the tolerance for Talon's appearance is even smaller. The book is told from the third-person perspective and follows the teen as he stands up to bullies, falls in love, and learns who can be trusted and who cannot.

My favorite thing about the book was Talon's character development. The author did an excellent job of portraying a victim's plight—the somber disposition, the self-loathing, and the inability to trust others. It was easy to identify how Talon felt in each situation because of how well I got to know his character at the beginning of the novel.

My main complaint about the book was how gruesome it was. The scenes of violence were undeniably disturbing to the point that I felt nauseated and had to put the book down. Blood spattering, body-slamming and merciless beatings seemed to follow any sign of disagreement. It was as if the characters were incapable of using words to solve problems. While a lot of the violence made sense in the book's context, I feel like it was more than I could handle at times. I especially had a hard time stomaching a particular scene where a male's genitals are mutilated by being repeatedly struck by a metal bar.

Another thing that I found off-putting was the inconsistency in pacing. The first half of the book unfolds steadily, introducing characters and exploring the relationships that Talon forms. The same cannot be said for the last quarter of the book, which seems rushed with an ending that comes out of nowhere. While I enjoy surprise endings, I think the author could have done a better job of leading readers to the dark conclusion.

Despite the above complaints, the book was exceptionally well-edited, and I found no errors. With that being said, I have chosen to give the book a rating of two out of four stars. I did not enjoy the violence, and the ending was rather anticlimactic and confusing, but Talon's character was multidimensional, and I enjoyed learning about him.

If you love rooting for the underdog and enjoy books with strong character development, I would recommend reading this novel. For readers triggered by extreme violence and scenes of sexual assault, I would dissuade them from picking up the story. The book is laced with offensive language and disturbing scenes that may be unpalatable for some readers.

Helpless (Book one)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Endings are always important for me, I wish the author had put more effort to it. Thanks for an honest review.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I love rooting for the underdog. I love defending the oppressed. I love that David stood up for Talon. That's what humanity should be about; defending the defenceless.

Exceptional review.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

The violence sounds too gruesome than I can handle; therefore, I'm not reading this one. Nice review anyways.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

MarveeAman wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 04:55 Endings are always important for me, I wish the author had put more effort to it. Thanks for an honest review.
Thanks for your comment!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like an interesting story, but it is too violent for me. Thank you for your review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Though the book seems like it raises awareness about bullying and domestic abuse, the scenes you described are too strong for my taste. Thanks for your review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The feeling of being alone and being victim to bullies and abuse is indeed a very sore one. Thankful help came along the way. Great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

This is definitely a book I want to read, even when the disturbing parts are taken into account. Thanks for the thorough review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Scenes of extreme violence can churn the insides and make one feel sick. It sounds awful that Talon was treated like that.

Thank you for reviewing the book!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This sounds like something I may want to read . Although it looks like it may have some violence that may be a bit saddening for me. Putting on my bookshelf. Thanks for your thourough review!!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”