Official Review: Severely Embellished Tales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Severely Embellished Tales

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Severely Embellished Tales" by Caul Grimes Goodall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Severely Embellished Tales by Caul Grimes Goodall can be summarized as a true English tale. The plot of the narrative is rooted in the story of the three little pigs and much more. It is a comical, intriguing, and heavily embellished tale that relies on anachronism and wordplay to create a fairy tale unlike another. It can also be described as satirical, at best, with commentary on the current political and social climates of the times. The elements of realism, anthropomorphism (the attribution of human characteristics and behavior to that which is not human), and anachronism (event, circumstance, or object belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists) are the combining factors that embellish this tale, making it edifying as well as memorable.

In eleventh-century medieval Britain, in the mythical "Ewing Forest," a familiar yet twisted tale of three little pigs and a "Big Bad Wolf" unfolds. But there is more to it; this time, we get to know what actually went down. This is not a tale watered down to please the sensibilities; it is a story in which the author gives free reins to his creative imaginations, and the results are resounding. It's a narrative dotted with religious, political, and social commentary and events, garnished with the flair of Briticism and embellished with the ancient and the modern. The devil is in the details, and interpretation is multifaceted. Will the three little pigs survive the onslaught, or will they be consumed by the demon that seeks to defile the soul? Will the wolf fulfill his assumed destiny, or will he be outwitted by those he disdains? What of the new wave of liberalism sweeping through the west, any thoughts? How about a bit of history lesson along the way or perhaps a bit of comic relief? Or a taste of accents, or would you prefer a vocab test? However you want it, Severely Embellished Tales does not disappoint.

The narrative device of the author is interesting. Apart from meeting the characters in the book and an in-depth analysis of their history and character traits, the reviewers' side notes and the author's commentary offer a three-dimensional interpretation of this embellished tale. The extensive use of rich vocabulary, apt quotes, and music that suits each scene provides a broad spectrum of variations and an opportunity to garner knowledge. Although some events might seem incredulous, they are, however, a delight to read, thanks to the author's descriptive prowess and ability to create vivid imagery spiced with flavourful wordings. All this lends credence to the title of Severely Embellished Tales; its over-the-top narrative style is guaranteed to make the reader laugh, pause, and ultimately think.

I do have some things I found to be off-putting about the book. There are so many errors in it — many repeated words and typos here and there. It must have been very challenging editing this book, considering the characters' speech patterns and the various accents (Brogue, Yiddish, and Germanic) used throughout the book.

The vocabulary of this book can be said to be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it necessitates the constant consultation of the dictionary, which some readers who do not have an exhaustive vocabulary might find disruptive. On the other hand, it is an opportunity to be immersed in the richness of the English language. I recognize that this archaic vocab particularly fits the narrative style of this fabled tale.

Finally, the font size and the line spacing should be fixed. A bigger font size and more spaces in between the lines would help readability. The chapters should also be separated neatly. Everything was compressed, and it wasn't easy on my eyes.

I will recommend this book to readers who love stories that aren't conventional — comical yet serious, familiar, and odd in an exciting way. Readers with an interest in medieval English tales will also love this book. Overall, I will summarize this book as exciting and rate it a 3 out of 4. Severely Embellished Tales requires some level of investment from the reader in terms of time and patience, but it will be a time well spent.

Severely Embellished Tales
View: on Bookshelves
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I loved this review and think it sounds like a funny story of a tale we are all familiar with. Putting a different spin on things is a fabulous idea . Too bad there were so many errors
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

You've written a very informative review. It is filled with new words. The book about three pigs and the wolf is changed as the authors wish. I would like to read about it, as it sounds intriguing to me.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

This review was very insightful. I love your use of words and style of writing. Great job.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This is a completely new genre to me. But your review of the book Is lovely.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”