Official Review: I'm In Love With Your Ghost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Official Review: I'm In Love With Your Ghost

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm In Love With Your Ghost" by Lisa Heather Torbert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lisa Heather Torbert, the author of I’m in Love With Your Ghost, had a difficult childhood. Despite the challenges she faced, she chose to look at life from a different angle. One subsequent event in her life, even so, proved to have been the most challenging to overcome. Although she was a trained counselor then, it was an episode that forced Torbert to devise new forms of therapy, such as writing, to keep body and soul together.

While growing up, Torbert and her younger brother, Josh, lacked parental guidance. Their mother was sickly, suffering from mental illness and addiction, while their father was continuously busy at his funeral parlor. They avoided having friends in their home to hide their dysfunctional family unit. As an escapist strategy, Torbert learned early the art of daydreaming. Her imagination was what one would expect from an active and growing mind: flying to a magical island where everyone knew and cared for each other. As soon as she grew up to be a high school student, though, so did her problems and the means to overcome them.

I liked the book mainly because the author’s first account narrative was a great example of surmounting difficulty. I also enjoyed the delivery of the stories that consisted of a series of flashbacks, going all the way back to the 60s from the present. Flashing back to the 70s, for example, Torbert illustrated how the lack of parental direction affected her. Not only was her mom addicted to alcohol and drugs, but she’d also picked up the same vice. Losing her virginity at 13 and raped at 15, Torbert’s imaginary journey to her magical island was now paved by “an ample supply of sex, drugs, and rock & roll.”

Talking about misfortunes later in her life, Torbert thought that pain was constantly following her. Importantly, nonetheless, among her friends, she’d established a reputation of surmounting obstacles. That is until the one hurdle that seemed insurmountable came along.

On the other hand, I didn’t like the fact that the book had numerous and minor editing errors that could’ve easily been eliminated by another round of editing. I’ve, therefore, deducted a star for the shortcoming in the book’s editing and rated it 3 out of 4 stars.

Lastly, Torbert’s experiences expose our own vulnerability of feeling fear, helplessness, loneliness, and lack of control. As such, this book will be suitable for readers looking for an engaging story of resilience and hope. At the same time, it’s less suited to readers who aren’t given to superstitious beliefs.

I'm In Love With Your Ghost
View: on Bookshelves
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I love to read the stories of people who rise above the negative circumstances of their upbringing to make something beautiful out of their lives.

I'm already in love with the storyline from your review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This is so beautiful. I would like to read the book!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I was brought to this review by the intriguing book title and I'm glad I was. It sounds like there are quite a few heavy topics that gives it some weight. I'd be very interested in reading this book from the review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a book to read after watching the "Ghost" movie :). Thank you for your recommendation and your intriguing review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Writing is definitely one of my greatest forms of therapy which has helped me stay afloat many life's uphill challenges. Great review.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Wow, this sounds like a very intriguing story. Your review was very compelling and this sounds like a beautiful story. It is too bad it is not better edited though. Great review!!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A place of happiness is imagination. Thanks for the review!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:18 I love to read the stories of people who rise above the negative circumstances of their upbringing to make something beautiful out of their lives.

Thanks for your kind comments.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:18 I love to read the stories of people who rise above the negative circumstances of their upbringing to make something beautiful out of their lives.

Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:54 This is so beautiful. I would like to read the book!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Booklover Becca wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:22 I was brought to this review by the intriguing book title and I'm glad I was. It sounds like there are quite a few heavy topics that gives it some weight. I'd be very interested in reading this book from the review.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 02:50 It seems like a book to read after watching the "Ghost" movie :). Thank you for your recommendation and your intriguing review!
Yeah, it has some chilling moments. Thanks for your kind comments.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Kennedy NC wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 17:21 Writing is definitely one of my greatest forms of therapy which has helped me stay afloat many life's uphill challenges. Great review.
Me too. It has a way of taking you to another plane. Thanks for the kind comments.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 07:20 Wow, this sounds like a very intriguing story. Your review was very compelling and this sounds like a beautiful story. It is too bad it is not better edited though. Great review!!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”