Official Review: On Traigh Lar Beach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Official Review: On Traigh Lar Beach

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On Traigh Lar Beach" by Dianne Ebertt Beeaff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‌“The cure for anything is salt water—tears, sweat, or the sea.”
Isak Dinesen

Erica, a writer struggling with impostor syndrome, finds twelve ⁠(apparently) meaningless objects on the enchanting Tràigh Lar Beach, Scotland. On Tràigh Lar Beach by Dianne Ebertt Beeaff compiles twelve short stories and a novella. The stories are each related to the objects that Erica found, while the novella, Fan Girls, follows the paths of four women whose love for the music of the band Datha intertwines their lives in a breathtaking clash.

The first attribute that stands out is that the author doesn’t follow a traditional narrative arc. Each of the short stories starts with the description of a flower related to the name of the protagonist, which seeps its symbolism into the story. The author also uses internal monologues, emails, lyrical prose, and a variety of narrative styles in a fascinating medley that mirrors real-life communication. What I consider most admirable is that Dianne Ebertt Beeaff created sixteen different narrative voices and styles that are perfectly discernible from one another. This is no easy feat to achieve, and it keeps the reader on their toes with the constant switches. It also adds much-needed speed to some slower stories. The novella isn't traditional either; it's written in four alternating voices and the ending is spectacular.

Everyone, especially women, can relate to at least one of the stories of On Tràigh Lar Beach. The author covered a broad spectrum of the female experience, such as the innocence of childhood, the desperation of poverty, the struggles of motherhood, the challenges of widowhood and aging, the stagnancy of unfulfilling jobs, the fear of commitment, and the seemingly hopeless maze of domestic violence. The characters are extremely diverse too, from Ella, who just can't get behind the new-age psychobabble no matter how hard she tries (this was the most relatable to me), to Mari, a fading movie star. The variety of topics and the diversity in the array of characters speaks to not only the talent of the author, but also means On Tràigh Lar Beach has something for everyone.

The edition is outstanding, with less than a handful of mistakes in all the text. This is a flawless book. If I could ask for more, it would be for the author – who is also a visual artist – to illustrate the stories in a further edition.

On Tràigh Lar Beach by Dianne Ebertt Beeaff fully deserves 4 out of 4 stars because of the diverse characters, distinct narrative voices, meaningful plot, and innovative narrative arc.

I recommend this book to readers of feminine fiction, readers who enjoy short stories and lyrical prose, and music aficionados. Aspiring writers could learn a lot from analyzing the narrative style of Dianne Ebertt Beeaff. Survivors of rape or domestic violence should note that there are several mentions of these topics in the book. This is not the ideal book for readers who love page-turning action or those that prefer fantasy or sci-fi.

Like a message in a bottle, On Tràigh Lar Beach arrived from Scotland to my hands to show me the dazzling kaleidoscope of the female experience and to remind me of the meaning behind the mundane. I hope it reaches many more readers in its journey.

On Traigh Lar Beach
View: on Bookshelves
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I love the cover of this book! I wouldn't have guessed that Traigh Lar Beach is in Scotland. Nice review! It sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I grew up in the tropics and I visited the seaside a lot. Sometimes, I used to collect things that I found on the sand. Of course, I never found out the stories behind those objects. It's so cool that a writer chose to base their book on something mundane yet intriguing like finding random things on a beach!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What an interesting metaphor about the salt water! It seems like an emotional and educational read that touches a lot of delicate subjects. Great job with the review!
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

raluca_mihaila wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 05:52 What an interesting metaphor about the salt water! It seems like an emotional and educational read that touches a lot of delicate subjects. Great job with the review!
I love that quote. It is a moving read that has something for everyone. Thank you for your kind words!

KristyKhem wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 23:38 I love the cover of this book! I wouldn't have guessed that Traigh Lar Beach is in Scotland. Nice review! It sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I grew up in the tropics and I visited the seaside a lot. Sometimes, I used to collect things that I found on the sand. Of course, I never found out the stories behind those objects. It's so cool that a writer chose to base their book on something mundane yet intriguing like finding random things on a beach!
Oh, then you'll love this book. I didn't have the luck to grow up near the sea, but I find it fascinating how these random objects are so meaningful. I hope you give the book a chance. And yes, the cover is what initially caught my attention, it's absolutely beautiful, and so are the stories. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a lovely description of this unique book. The various topics are truly relatable. I think I will enjoy this read—on my list it goes! Thank you for a great review. :balloon::gift:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

MsH2k wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 01:26 What a lovely description of this unique book. The various topics are truly relatable. I think I will enjoy this read—on my list it goes! Thank you for a great review. :balloon::gift:
I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Thank you so much for your kind words! :tiphat:
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Wow, this sounds like a very intriguing book. I feel like the topics it covers are very relatable. I really enjoyed reading your review, thank you for your great work!

Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 15:00 Wow, this sounds like a very intriguing book. I feel like the topics it covers are very relatable. I really enjoyed reading your review, thank you for your great work!
They are incredibly relatable, mostly for females, I have to admit that. Thank you for your kind words! :D
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Interesting description of a novella. I am generally critical of short story collections because they are not written with meaning. This seems to be different though and I will definitely check it out. Great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Mounce574 wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 01:34 Interesting description of a novella. I am generally critical of short story collections because they are not written with meaning. This seems to be different though and I will definitely check it out. Great review!
This is, definitely, a meaningful collection. Let me know if you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This sounds like a book I would be interested in reading. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

The variety of women in this book will certainly aid its attempt at reading a wide audience. Four different stories and characters in one book sound very interesting and I am curious about each of their stories. Great job on your review! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Bertha Jackson wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 17:58 This sounds like a book I would be interested in reading. Thank you for your review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for your comment!

Katie Canedy wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:46 The variety of women in this book will certainly aid its attempt at reading a wide audience. Four different stories and characters in one book sound very interesting and I am curious about each of their stories. Great job on your review! :)
It is quite impressive that the author had the imagination and the talent to create such different women and plots and give them an authentic voice. I hope you give the book a chance. Thank you for your kind words! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”