Official Review: Expiration Depot by Mark Hasiuk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Expiration Depot by Mark Hasiuk

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Expiration Depot" by Mark Hasiuk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since being legalized in most states, ex-depots (expiration depots) have gained popularity among those wanting to die with dignity. Through these devices, people suffering from a terminal illness, old age, etc., can decide when they've had enough. Still, there is a strong divide between those in favor of ex-depots and those against them.

Tom works at Kane's Expiration Depot; he is an EAD salesman who can charm even the most skeptical customers into purchasing a luxury expiration device. The job has proven to be quite profitable—often making him hundreds of dollars in commission. Things are going along swimmingly until a series of unfortunate events leave him enmeshed in a deep depression.

Expiration Depot by Mark Hasiuk is an expertly crafted fiction novel that will keep readers engaged. The controversial story takes place in Portland, Oregon, and is told from the third-person perspective. Readers follow Tom Mulvey on a journey of self-reflection as he processes the gravity of peddling these death devices—the alienation he feels from his family, guilt, and the rejection he feels from others.

The thing I loved most about the book was the detail put into developing the main character. Tom was a complex individual. On the one hand, he was a slick salesman who exuded confidence on the sales floor, but on the other hand, he seemed like a lost little boy when it came to his personal life. Between his strained relationship with his parents and his love life woes, it was clear that job success didn't bleed into the other facets of his life. Discovering Tom was like peeling back the layers of an onion. Little by little, I learned more about this person, and many things surprised me.

Another thing I loved about the novel was the inclusion of newspaper articles throughout the book. As a reader, this kept me up to speed with the current laws and controversies surrounding expiration depots. For example, one of the articles covered a messy court battle between two parents—one believed in using an EAD for their little girl who was terminally ill, and the other parent was vehemently opposed to any assisted death. It was interesting to read about a country that was so divided over this life-changing issue.

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about this book, and it exceeded my expectations. Expiration Depot was professionally edited, and the writing flowed seamlessly. I am delighted to give the novel a rating of four out of four stars because of its intriguing premise and the connection I felt to Tom's character.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy controversial topics about life and death. For those heavily influenced by technology, this book will appeal to your inner nerd with all the gadgets mentioned. I would discourage readers triggered by weighty topics such as suicide from reading Expiration Depot. Some of the conversations and end-of-life depictions are disturbing and could upset sensitive readers. There is some profanity throughout, but it is not exhaustive.

Expiration Depot
View: on Bookshelves
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This review is amazing. I fell in love with the main character too by just reading the review. The story is very unique too and quite interesting.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Ok, I think I won't be disturbed by the book's main peculiarities, though, this type of suicide is never a thing in Nigeria at all. But it will interest me to read about other country people view life, as far as death is concerned.
Signature of Grace.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Ok, I think I won't be disturbed by the book's main peculiarities, though, this type of suicide is never a thing in Nigeria at all. But it will interest me to read about other country people view of life, as far as death is concerned.
Signature of Grace.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

This seems like an interesting twist on DNR orders in hospitals. Tom seems like a complex, likeable character and I'm sure he made things interesting and provided a detailed storyline. Thanks for your review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Precious Naiti wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 16:11 This review is amazing. I fell in love with the main character too by just reading the review. The story is very unique too and quite interesting.
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

GideonWrites Review wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 16:47 Ok, I think I won't be disturbed by the book's main peculiarities, though, this type of suicide is never a thing in Nigeria at all. But it will interest me to read about other country people view life, as far as death is concerned.
It's definitely an interesting read; thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kridz21 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 17:57 This seems like an interesting twist on DNR orders in hospitals. Tom seems like a complex, likeable character and I'm sure he made things interesting and provided a detailed storyline. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for your response :)
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds intriguing. I appreciate that the main character Tom, is complex and well developed, making for a good read. Your informative and excellent review has me adding this book to my want-to-read shelf!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Smmwallace wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 03:21 This book sounds intriguing. I appreciate that the main character Tom, is complex and well developed, making for a good read. Your informative and excellent review has me adding this book to my want-to-read shelf!
Thanks for your comment.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

yet again a wonderful review. The controversial idea for this book makes it stand out from others. How can one make a decision when someone must die?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”