Official Review: Finding Lorena by Michael Bartos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Finding Lorena by Michael Bartos

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Lorena" by Michael Bartos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Connor Grace is a lonely, middle-aged, and divorced teacher. While in his twenties, he lost his fiancée, Lorena, and his best friend, Ozzie, when they were both murdered. In 2018, being depressed and having too much to drink, he ran into the street after a cab and was hit. The year was 1987 when he regained consciousness—obviously confused in his seventeen-year-old body with a head injury, a punctured lung, and a fractured leg. While seeking answers about what happened, his life becomes more complicated and dangerous than he could have possibly imagined. Will he be able to change the past and improve his future?

Finding Lorena by Michael Bartos is a 308-page, fascinating book listed in the C/T/M/H genre. Suspenseful and occasionally humorous, the author’s prose was easy to understand and imaginative. I expected this to be a romance novel, and it certainly was, but I was pleasantly surprised at the mystery and intrigue that were a substantial part of the story. The multiple twists and turns in the book kept it exciting and unpredictable. It was mostly narrated from the third-person point of view; however, the occasional inclusion of some pages from Lorena’s diary was a nice touch, offering insight into what she was thinking.

The importance of family and friends represents an underlying theme in the story. In addition to losing Lorena and Oscar when they were murdered, Connor lost his mother due to breast cancer. He had trouble dealing with their passing and now has the chance to prevent their premature deaths.

Another theme deals with prejudice. Ozzie was black, and Connor was white. Connor’s parents objected to him playing with Ozzie until an accident caused the fathers to meet and get to know each other. Lorena was a Jew, and Connor was a Christian. Their different religious backgrounds presented a problem with their families initially. Overall, the author did a good job of showing that we are all basically the same. The sole thing I had a problem with (and questioned why it was there) was a thought that Lorena had about Connor when she first encountered him: “With his athletic good looks, friendly toothy smile, and low country drawl she could tell he wasn’t Jewish.” This was a very stereotypical comment. I think it would have been better to have been left out entirely and would not have lost a thing in the process.

I encountered too many grammatical and punctuation errors in the novel. Also, there were formatting issues where the paragraphs didn’t always start in the same place. It could use the help of a professional editor. In addition, although most of my questions were explained by the end, there were a few that remained unanswered.

Due to the prior issues, one star is subtracted from the rating; subsequently, Finding Lorena achieves three out of four stars. It is too suspenseful and imaginative for two stars. I heartily recommend it to readers who enjoy thrilling crime dramas/mysteries with some incorporated romance. Sensitive readers should be aware that violence, profanities, and sex are encountered in the book.

Finding Lorena
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I am dissatisfied with the fact that the book has a lot of errors. I found the premise of the book quite intriguing. Still seems like an interesting read. Thank you for your review!
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The book being imaginative and suspense filled is interesting. I appreciate the author simplicity in the writing style and the third-person perspective used too. Your review is engaging and simple.
Signature of Grace.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

There seem to be a lot of contrasting elements in this book: past and present, black and white, Jew and Christian. I like books that are edgy like that. Great review!
larisa stefan
Currently Reading: Burial Rites
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larisa-stefan.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B0863SD8G3

Post by larisa stefan »

Your review made me want to read the book. You made it look so interesting. I think it’s very insightful and well written.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Precious Naiti wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 16:13 I am dissatisfied with the fact that the book has a lot of errors. I found the premise of the book quite intriguing. Still seems like an interesting read. Thank you for your review!
It was a very interesting book. I hope the author fixes the errors to take it to the next level.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Suspense and humor go well together! Your engaging review made me very eager to read the book, so nice job!
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I'm intrigued by the way you described the genre, as sort of a romance combined with mystery. The only thing I'd be concerned about while reading this book is the unanswered questions you mentioned, I hate those. Great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 16:56 The book being imaginative and suspense filled is interesting. I appreciate the author simplicity in the writing style and the third-person perspective used too. Your review is engaging and simple.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

KristyKhem wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 20:38 There seem to be a lot of contrasting elements in this book: past and present, black and white, Jew and Christian. I like books that are edgy like that. Great review!
That's true. A lot of it is prejudice against that which is different. I hope you get to take a look at this book. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

larisa stefan wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 06:52 Your review made me want to read the book. You made it look so interesting. I think it’s very insightful and well written.
I hope you get to as I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:05 Suspense and humor go well together! Your engaging review made me very eager to read the book, so nice job!
I agree; they do. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kridz21 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 11:09 I'm intrigued by the way you described the genre, as sort of a romance combined with mystery. The only thing I'd be concerned about while reading this book is the unanswered questions you mentioned, I hate those. Great review!
The major questions are answered. There were just a couple of minor ones that left me wondering. Thanks for reading my review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your meaningful review. While the suspenseful and humorous plot is interesting, the fact that Connor was hit by a vehicle and traveled back to his youth to change the future is not very creative, as I have encountered this theme many times already.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

ThIs book sounds intriguing. I'm curious to learn how Connor handles going back in time and getting the chance to change things. Too bad there are so many errors. Thank you for your informative and good review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”