Review by luchi123 -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review by luchi123 -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by luchi123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Kalayla the story of a girl named Kalayla who lived with her mother Maureen. They lived very close to Lena, a seventy-two year old widow. Kalayla lost her father at a tender age. Hence, Maureen had to work extra hard to meet their needs. This left her with little time to care for her daughter as she ought to. Lena noticed this and decided to take up the role of protecting Kalayla from harm, and helping Maureen to raise her properly. She did so with the determination to avoid a repetition of the mistakes she made while raising her sons.

I like the fact that there was a lot of intrigue in the tale. The author, Jeannie Nicholas was able to keep up the suspense throughout the book. I was still expecting some interesting things to happen before the book came to an end. I liked many of the characters in the book. I was surprised and glad that JJ did not turn out like his father. Although I learned more about the effects of a nervous breakdown from Kalayla’s uncle, I was glad that he was restrained from carrying out his evil intentions. It was also very nice of the author to write the character involved before any section of the story began, to avoid mix-up. I didn’t dislike anything about the book.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited and the plot is very captivating. The protagonists had so much drama surrounding them that could be used to write two books or more. The book would make a reader want to read other books written by the author.

I think that the book would be enjoyed by every adult who wants to read an interesting novel. It is also a good book for parents. The plot is a very interesting blend of family issues and life. It also teaches a great lesson on the effects of the lack of unity between parents on a child’s character.

I think that the book should not be read by children. Although Kalayla was a very smart and courageous kid, many of her thoughts and verbal expressions were rude. She also engaged in some dangerous activities. Those may influence children negatively. Also, some themes of the plot like family estrangement and reconciliation, as well as the romantic relationships in the book are too mature for many children to understand.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I agree with most of the points in the review because I read the book too and loved it. Nice review!
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”