Official Review: Evolution's Magnum Opus by Stephen M. Roth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Evolution's Magnum Opus by Stephen M. Roth

Post by Abacus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evolution's Magnum Opus" by Stephen M. Roth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lester Mobey was a history buff with a checkered past, who described the human brain as evolution's magnum opus, but with a backdoor at nighttime, open to enemies. The unconscious sleeping mind was unprotected at such times, and irrational fears could and did slip over the wall to cause mayhem. Lester compared it to the Greek historian Diodorus Siculus's description of a successful, if unusual, night combat by the Spartans in 480 B.C. They won the battle with a thousand Persians to one Spartan. Lester, to this day, does not sleep because his demons come at night.

The protagonist of Evolution's Magnus Opus, Tommy Henderson, the ten-year-old son of Linda Henderson, would come to understand Lester's anguish with night terrors of his own. When we meet Tommy, he is preparing for the worst experience a young boy could have; he is to testify in a sexual abuse case against a master at his school. Tommy is the primary witness. He has been prepped by his mother and their counsel, Assistant Crown Attorney Jonathon Sussman, as to likely questions and how he should answer. Lester Mobey is a wily defending counsel who prepares meticulously. Will he cast doubt on Tommy's testimony? How will this trauma affect Tommy as he grows up?

Through many innovative twists and turns, the author takes the reader through the court case, the impact on the lives of the principal characters, and gives us a whopping surprise ending. Kudos to Stephen M. Roth for a masterly first novel, a fiction but based on some of his own boyhood experiences.

I liked the elegant prose of this book, just reading any of the words is a pleasure reminiscent of an Agatha Christie mystery. The characters are developed throughout and have authenticity. Even bit-characters like Bailiff Howard King and Court Clerk Muriel Lawson feel real and add to the story development as they comfort Tommy in small ways.

I enjoyed this novel's length and understanding Tommy's point of view as he grew into manhood. He was valiant in forging a life for himself; he married Veronica, and they had a son, Lucas, whom they both adored. But Tommy's innocence was lost, and it would never come back. We follow the lives of Tommy, his mother, Linda, his friend George Gerontonis, Counsels Jonathon Sussman and Lester Mobey, and the accused teacher, Robert Hiller.

I appreciated the plot involving court procedures and understanding the law, justice, human weaknesses, and strengths. The story is poignant because of the subject matter, but it is not too explicit and did not affect this well-constructed court drama's readability.

I rate Evolution's Magnum Opus 4 out of 4 stars for its presentation, chapter headings that develop anticipation like "The Art of the Cross," plot, and characters. I do not rate it 3 out of 4 stars because it is an intense and authentic court drama with an unexpected ending. I detected nothing to dislike. I found one profane word uttered in a foreign language, "Hijoputa." which did not distract from my reading enjoyment at all. I believe the book is professionally edited.

I recommend it to people who enjoy court drama, a polished writing style, and stunning creativity. It is not for young readers because of the subject matter.

Evolution's Magnum Opus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Frankie00
Favorite Book: Evolution's Magnum Opus
Currently Reading: resilient grieving
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Frankie00 »

I love the plot twists of this book and the depth and development of characters in this book!
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Frankie00 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 09:45 I love the plot twists of this book and the depth and development of characters in this book!
Yes, for a first-time author, it's a real achievement. Thanks for commenting.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book is sure to appeal to justice and courtroom-style story lovers. Thanks for your review.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

This book seems perfectly suitable for the fans of court drama. But I'm not fond of this sort of book, so I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the great review!
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 17:27 This book is sure to appeal to justice and courtroom-style story lovers. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for the comments.
Victoria Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoria Poe »

To just say that this story is very elegantly composed wouldn't do it equity. Each line in the novel presents to us the climate and sentiments that the creator was slanted to impart to us. There was nothing that I would consider as being overwritten. Each line was utilized in view of a reason. Stephen Roth highmindedly portrayed the feelings and internal contemplations of his characters.

At the point when I read this book, I could detect all of what Tommy went through - his dread and his disquiet when discussing the sickening matter of going through inappropriate behavior on account of his educator (Mr. Hiller) during their ends of the week out in his far off lodge. I encountered his mom's misery also, despite the fact that a few groups would have likely been repulsed by her drinking all things considered. Such little detail as her pantomiming blowing a kiss to her ten-year-old child Tommy in the court makes her affable since it addresses her as a caring mother. The safeguard legal advisor, Mr, Mobey, despite the fact that I understand that he was simply taking care of his work, caused me extraordinary appall. He befuddled the helpless youngster to the point that Tommy started to question himself - Maybe I truly lied someplace? In court, where you would accept any kid should have a sense of security and secure, Tommy turns into a casualty once more. He encountered more injury, however this time - from Mr. Mobey, who pushed for the sick person. I can't help thinking that in such cases, the cross-examination ought to presumably be led by an attorney who is accomplished in kid brain science - it would be just about as sensible as it would altruistic. I like the way that Stephen Roth gets into the psyche of the two supporters during the meeting meetings and following the meetings also, which is, as I would see it, much more significant.

Not regularly do you see contemporary books of such type, where every one of the characters are passed on so strikingly and normally. It was clear to me that the writer's very own experience enormously impacted his composition, and I believe that was immense in addition to his character's turn of events and storyline by and large.

Only one out of every odd writer could compose on a particular subject since there are a few eccentricities here: you need to realize how to depict certain things so the peruser doesn't upchuck and, simultaneously, you should be comfortable with court techniques. I can tell that this story is the creator's heart-sore. That is the reason it sounds so genuine and, despite the point which infers some particular data on kid badgering, refined.

Regularly, in contemporary books, you find an absence of feelings - it is by all accounts composed well, however you don't relate to the characters. Mr. Roth figured out how to accomplish this impact. So I didn't lament perusing this book apiece.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Upeksha wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 07:09 This book seems perfectly suitable for the fans of court drama. But I'm not fond of this sort of book, so I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for commenting.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Victoria Poe wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 01:39 To just say that this story is very elegantly composed wouldn't do it equity. Each line in the novel presents to us the climate and sentiments that the creator was slanted to impart to us. There was nothing that I would consider as being overwritten. Each line was utilized in view of a reason. Stephen Roth highmindedly portrayed the feelings and internal contemplations of his characters.

At the point when I read this book, I could detect all of what Tommy went through - his dread and his disquiet when discussing the sickening matter of going through inappropriate behavior on account of his educator (Mr. Hiller) during their ends of the week out in his far off lodge. I encountered his mom's misery also, despite the fact that a few groups would have likely been repulsed by her drinking all things considered. Such little detail as her pantomiming blowing a kiss to her ten-year-old child Tommy in the court makes her affable since it addresses her as a caring mother. The safeguard legal advisor, Mr, Mobey, despite the fact that I understand that he was simply taking care of his work, caused me extraordinary appall. He befuddled the helpless youngster to the point that Tommy started to question himself - Maybe I truly lied someplace? In court, where you would accept any kid should have a sense of security and secure, Tommy turns into a casualty once more. He encountered more injury, however this time - from Mr. Mobey, who pushed for the sick person. I can't help thinking that in such cases, the cross-examination ought to presumably be led by an attorney who is accomplished in kid brain science - it would be just about as sensible as it would altruistic. I like the way that Stephen Roth gets into the psyche of the two supporters during the meeting meetings and following the meetings also, which is, as I would see it, much more significant.

Not regularly do you see contemporary books of such type, where every one of the characters are passed on so strikingly and normally. It was clear to me that the writer's very own experience enormously impacted his composition, and I believe that was immense in addition to his character's turn of events and storyline by and large.

Only one out of every odd writer could compose on a particular subject since there are a few eccentricities here: you need to realize how to depict certain things so the peruser doesn't upchuck and, simultaneously, you should be comfortable with court techniques. I can tell that this story is the creator's heart-sore. That is the reason it sounds so genuine and, despite the point which infers some particular data on kid badgering, refined.

Regularly, in contemporary books, you find an absence of feelings - it is by all accounts composed well, however you don't relate to the characters. Mr. Roth figured out how to accomplish this impact. So I didn't lament perusing this book apiece.
Thanks for sharing your feelings. Reading to the end of a mediocre book is time-wasting but sometimes necessary to properly evaluate it. Reading elegant prose, empathizing with the characters, appreciating the author's research, knowledge and experience is true communication and priceless.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”