Official Review: Rough Way to the High Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Cleared for Takeoff by John R. “Rusty” Potter

Official Review: Rough Way to the High Way

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rough Way to the High Way" by Kelly Mack McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy is the intriguing story of a truck driver who encounters several unnerving challenges on his way to Chicago to make a delivery.

Mack, a former pastor, takes up truck driving. On his way to the slaughterhouse to pick up meat, he sees a hitchhiker. He feels compelled to pick him up but doesn't. He sees him again and picks him up. On their way, they almost collide with a slow-moving combine, which causes Mack to swerve fatally. The hitchhiker accuses Mack of swerving violently on purpose. He introduces himself as Ricky, and they finally stop at a truck stop, where Mack checks his load. Ricky tells Mack that he'll clean up and join him at the coffee shop. Mack then walks to the coffee shop to wait for Ricky. There, several disturbing events unfold, causing Mack to wonder if he has made a costly mistake.

The author tells an exciting story about a pastor-turned-truck-driver who encounters a whole lot of terrifying incidents on his way to Chicago to make a meat delivery. He tells the story in a way that helps the reader envision the different unfolding scenarios. Through his story, he reminds the reader of the very existence of the "Most High God," whose hand is upon the lives of his people. He also illustrates God's ability to salvage every situation and come through for those who rely on him.

I found the book intriguing and full of suspense. Due to its suspense level, I couldn't guess subsequent outcomes or pinpoint the story's real villain. However, this only served to increase my interest in the book, and as a result, I could hardly wait to turn over to the next page and read about Mack's latest discovery. The entire story was like one gigantic and challenging puzzle that Mack, the protagonist, had to solve to find peace. The surprising turnout of events in the story showcased the author's imaginative abilities. I was particularly entertained by the author's naming of some of his minor characters based on their looks, mannerisms, and countenances.

I didn't dislike anything about the book. The author did an excellent job in his characterization. This made it easy to relate to and understand the interactions of his characters with one another. I found Mack intriguing, while Garb was friendly, accommodating, and entertaining.

There were minimal errors in the book, which led me to believe it had been professionally edited. Due to the above positives, I'd rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It was indeed a fantastic read, and I'd readily recommend it to lovers of adventure stories and Christian books.

Rough Way to the High Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ikechukwuamarachi+55
Currently Reading: Running the Sahara
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

Sometimes, mysteries unfold when we least expect. I will like to know some of Mack's discoveries. The book seems amazing and such a nice review.
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I think Mack is someone I want to read more about. This review captures my interest. Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”