Official Review: Trust by Aprille Canniff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lunastella
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: My Not-So Secret
Bookshelf Size: 1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Trust by Aprille Canniff

Official Review: Trust by Aprille Canniff

Post by Lunastella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trust" by Aprille Canniff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Never underestimate a woman. You may think that she is small and weak, but remember this, there is nothing more dangerous than a woman who is protecting her home, her heart, or her young.”

Alex and Jen appear to be opposites. Alex is a high-ranking military woman through and through, who follows orders without hesitation and gives them without compassion. Jen is a hot-tempered police officer with a penchant for marching to her own beat. Both of them have suffered and built walls around them. But when a mysterious assignment unites them, their stubborn temper and irresistible attraction for each other will give place to a battle beyond the turf of war. Will they let their guard down and let themselves fall in love? Will they be able to separate love from duty? Can they survive a mission so secret that they’re sent to it completely blind?

Trust by Aprille Canniff is a perfectly developed novel. The meet-cute is tantalizing and, surprisingly, not corny; the author finds a perfect balance between romance and action, the characters are realistic and dynamic, the dialogues are authentic, and the pacing is perfect.

My favorite asset is how subtly the erotic content seeps through almost every scene. I never thought grueling military training could be sexy until I read Trust. The recreation of military life was accurate and fascinating, enriched by the fact that the author belongs to the Air Force. My country doesn’t have a strong military culture, so all my military knowledge came from movies like GI Jane , and reading Trust was very enlightening. It is outstanding the level of training, not only physical but psychological, the planning, and the equipment needed to complete what appears in movies to be so simple and fluid. The depiction of military life the author presents is realistic, full of hardship, and I discovered a newfound admiration for the men and women who devote their lives to such honorable professions. The perfect structural construction of the novel stands out. Namely, the book has a strong start, an exciting incident in the middle, and a perfectly developed climax. My heart was pounding all the way through the last chapters. I applaud the author didn’t leave loose ends but still opened the possibility of a second installment.

Except for the fact that there are over ten editing mistakes, Trust is a flawless novel. These mistakes are minor, and not so many considering the length of the novel. I would love to give this book a perfect rating because it takes a talented author to write a romance that’s not a cliché, erotic content that’s not vulgar, and an adventure that’s not so action-packed that it overlooks other aspects of the novel. The book has an original plot, unforgettable characters, and perfect pacing. Unfortunately, due to the editing mistakes, I rate Trust by Aprille Canniff 3 out of 4 stars.

Trust by Aprille Canniff is a perfect pick for readers interested in the intricacies of military and law enforcement lives, readers who enjoy adventure, mystery, romance, or erotica. This is not the best pick for readers who dislike violence or erotic content. Because of these subjects, I recommend this novel to a mature audience. Members of the military or veterans who struggle with PTSD could find some parts of this book triggering. Of course, this is not a suitable novel for readers who do not approve of same-sex relationships.

Trust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Fascinating review.the fact that your heart was pounding all the way through the last chapters is just a hint that this book is worth reading. Nice job
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review! This book seems interesting, I definitely will be checking it out. Thank you for sharing.
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 10:29 Fascinating review.the fact that your heart was pounding all the way through the last chapters is just a hint that this book is worth reading. Nice job
I'm not much of a fan of military stories, but this is an outstanding book. Thank you for your comment!
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Mtibza eM wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 11:51 Great review! This book seems interesting, I definitely will be checking it out. Thank you for sharing.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for your kind words.
Jenniferg_1105
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferg-1105.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jenniferg_1105 »

It’s always a bummer when a book gets a lower rating for errors. This sounds like a great book. Romance and action make for a good book most of the time. I will have to check this one out.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 18:25 It’s always a bummer when a book gets a lower rating for errors. This sounds like a great book. Romance and action make for a good book most of the time. I will have to check this one out.
I hate not giving such outstanding books a perfect rating because of editing mistakes, but I guess it helps the author improve further editions. You're right, those two genres make for a good mix. Thanks for stopping by!
Mounce574
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The Mystery of the Hidden Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 402
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN

Post by Mounce574 »

GI Jane isn't typical of military life. To be honest, the closest movie I can think of is Full Metal Jacket but it is disproportionate. The book sounds interesting and having a good story balance with action and romance is admirable. Great review!
"I don't want to dance with the Devil
I just want to confront him at a table
And I don't need your hollow promise
I just need to look you in the eyes and tell you
You didn't help me make it"
Upchurch The Redneck
Bertha Jackson
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Of Love and Deception
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Defending Guns by Steven Prevosto

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I will have to check this one out. Great review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Mounce574 wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 13:18 GI Jane isn't typical of military life. To be honest, the closest movie I can think of is Full Metal Jacket but it is disproportionate. The book sounds interesting and having a good story balance with action and romance is admirable. Great review!
If I remember correctly, GI Jane (I can't remember her name) was training to be a Navy Seal, which I guess is not the typical military life. But, as I mentioned, my references are few because my country doesn't have a strong military culture. I would love to know (in case you decide to read the book) your opinion on the accuracy.
Thank you for your comment!
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 15:38 I will have to check this one out. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by!
InStoree
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Black & White
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Seeds In The Concrete by L Joevon

Post by InStoree »

I've always been attracted to the soldier /army's features, and this book seems to highlight female characters with a natural spark of passion. An insightful review, as always! Thank you!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
- Tayma Tameem
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

InStoree wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 01:37 I've always been attracted to the soldier /army's features, and this book seems to highlight female characters with a natural spark of passion. An insightful review, as always! Thank you!
To be honest, I hadn't. I consider myself a pacifist. I selected this book because of the romance plot, but on the way found myself fascinated by the intricacies of military training. That's the magic of literature! Thank you for your kind words, dear.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”