Official Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: The Family Bible by Stephen W Johnson

Official Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death by Chaos" by Renaii West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Death by Chaos by Renaii West, Tasha Goldberg enters college at Parnassus Canyon University with a bang. Despite her wishes, she moves into Hesperus Hall, Room 407, with three other girls—Elizabeth, Dawn, and Miranda. Yet, it seems the fates decided this pairing early on, as the four become fast friends. They become the "Goddesses of 407," each claiming a "realm" of the college.

However, life changes drastically for all of them when a fellow student is found dead, and one of their own is the main suspect. They become entrenched in a web of lies and secrets. Still, as always, life moves on whether you are ready or not. Tasha is determined to learn the truth, even though years have passed. You'll need to pick up the book to learn how a college incident wreaks havoc decades later and see what Tasha discovers.

I'll begin by saying that I was immediately pulled into the book. I found the writing superb, if a bit lengthy, even on the first page. I wanted to know what was going to happen. Immediately following this, I was slightly put off as readers learn more about Tasha, one of the main characters. She has a sarcastic and narcissistic personality. While I love some good wit and diverse characters, she was a bit much for me. That said, she is far different from many main characters I have come across in books, making her unique and fascinating.

From there, I found the book to go way too fast. In a few chapters, college is over. In the next few breaths, readers find themselves finished with a decade, then two. I felt like much was glossed over. On the other hand, the author did elaborate on some important aspects, such as the four girls meeting and the mysterious death. Personally, I feel that the book could have been formatted differently. That said, others may like this approach.

Overall, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the book was an intriguing murder mystery. The characters were unique and fresh. The story kept me reading, and the writing was well done. I only found a few grammatical errors. However, the pace of the book was one of the main aspects holding me back from giving it a full four stars. In addition, I thought the use of Greek mythology references was redundant, bordering on excessive. Again, this is a personal preference and may not hinder the enjoyment of this book to others.

Overall, I would recommend this book to lovers of a good murder mystery. That said, I need to warn readers of potential triggers. These include, but are not limited to, discussion of rape, death, and some slurs. These were minor, in my opinion, but are helpful to those considering picking up this book.

Death by Chaos
View: on Bookshelves
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

This book sounds interesting. It reminds me of a movie series I once saw. A very interesting piece. Thanks for a wonderful and honest review.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Mtibza eM »

:techie-reference: Thank you for this review. I wonder what was the author's aim when they made it to run at this pace that was too fast for you.
shannonkate8
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: The Family Bible by Stephen W Johnson

Post by shannonkate8 »

Mtibza eM wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 02:45 :techie-reference: Thank you for this review. I wonder what was the author's aim when they made it to run at this pace that was too fast for you.
I think they were trying to cover a lot of time and events. That said, they didn't end the chapter and do the typical "ten years later" that other authors do. By not doing this, I felt that the author tried to squeeze everything in to show the passage of time.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Michaeljerry309
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Michaeljerry309 »

This is a book that Would keep me hooked but I’d quickly get tired of being hooked if it drags for too long, such can detract from the overall experience of the book however if you don’t mind reading for very long then I guess this would be a good read.
Michaeljerry309
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Michaeljerry309 »

shannonkate8 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 10:46
Mtibza eM wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 02:45 :techie-reference: Thank you for this review. I wonder what was the author's aim when they made it to run at this pace that was too fast for you.
I think they were trying to cover a lot of time and events. That said, they didn't end the chapter and do the typical "ten years later" that other authors do. By not doing this, I felt that the author tried to squeeze everything in to show the passage of time.

I think I prefer this authors approach to the Regular 10 years later however I feel that, because the author is just trying to show passage of time, that part won’t be as well written as other more important parts of the book that make up the totality of the books storyline.
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Albaou Amira »

I love murder mystery books and I would love to read this book someday. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”