Official Review: The Goddess Journal by Joy Alantis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: A Christian Manifesto for the Twenty-first Century
Bookshelf Size: 1429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Goddess Journal by Joy Alantis

Official Review: The Goddess Journal by Joy Alantis

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Goddess Journal" by Joy Alantis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joye sees herself as a Goddess. She stepped down from the corporate world to establish her own consulting firm. The business is a monumental success, and Joye is leading an enviable life. It is proving hard to find the man she wants, though. Her desire not to be single at forty seems to have been nothing more than a dream. Apart from her first boyfriend, she has always felt betrayed by her other Queen’s Men, as she calls them. No sooner had Joye begun her journey of self-discovery than she received a shocking revelation. It seemed the last stretch had turned out to be the most arduous.

Will Joye pull through the tumultuous times? What prompted her to change her perspective on life?

The Goddess Journal: dys[FUN]ction was authored by Joy Alantis and published by Alanmars Publishing in 2020. The narration is in the third person and flips back and forth between the past and the present making the reading experience very exciting. One will equally enjoy reading Joye’s journal entries after every chapter. They had unique titles, like 'Finding the OR in forty' and 'Finding the LIAR in the familiar'.

This was an emotional, funny, and really satisfying character-driven story about romantic relationships. Through Joye’s love life, the reader recognizes how one can easily be caught in a vicious cycle of dysfunctional relationships. The characters were excellently developed and realistic. Joye’s close friends had diverse qualities. From the impetuous Ro to the ever-cautious Kema, all of them performed significant roles in the story. Following the engaging dialogues made me feel like I was listening to cordial friends having raw conversations. Further, each chapter was more interesting than the preceding and revealed something new about Joye. I disliked nothing about the book.

What I enjoyed most were the journal entries. They allowed me to perceive things from Joye’s perspective. Initially, she was very egocentric. Everything revolved around her, and she saw all her boyfriends based on how she wanted them to be, not who they were. The chasm between her idealistic view and reality was wide and irreconcilable. It made me mull over how it is always tempting to choose this view even when the reality is glaring. Consequently, following her journey of transformation was nothing but pleasant.

This is an incredible story with lots of familiar situations, which many readers will identify with. Curiosity is aroused by the intelligent use of foreshadowing, and there are many twists and turns that will keep one enthralled down to the concluding page. Editing was professionally done. All things considered, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all fans of other fiction books, especially those with a healthy dose of romantic drama. There are no passionate scenes but plenty of swearwords, and hence it is unsuitable for children and anyone who dislikes them.

A massive cliffhanger made me believe there is a sequel on the way.

The Goddess Journal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
sssns
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by sssns »

How the author played with words is creative (FUN in dysfunction, OR in forty, and LIAR in familiar). Thanks for the insights.
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by smolbird »

Those titles really made me laugh. Thanks for the review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Drianie »

The style of this novel sounds really intriguing. I can imagine that this will be an emotional but enjoyable reading experience. I love that the author includes humor, which will make it more enjoyable for me. Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed reading your excellent review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by WADonnelly »

This is such a compelling review and book I will definitely have a look!! Thanks for your great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”