Review by Tomes 2 Read -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomes 2 Read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomes-2-read.html
Latest Review: Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy

Review by Tomes 2 Read -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Tomes 2 Read »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is a fiction novel written by Jeannie Nicholas that features the unapologetically bold and precious main character of the same name and the people that shape and protect her.

Meet Kalayla, an 11-year-old African-American girl with a chip on her shoulder and an attitude to match. She meets life head-on, as much as a young girl can, and speaks her mind. Her African-American father (deceased) and Irish mother marry for love in a society that rejects biracial unions; how they address this, rightly or wrongly, shape Kalayla’s life.

Yet Kalayla is not the only one wrestling with life. She gradually meets adults who also have secrets and struggles. Maureen, Kalayla’s mother and surviving parent, is a sensitive soul who struggles to provide for Kalayla and herself, traveling in Kalayla’s wake more often than being at the helm of her life. Maureen has also been cut off from her family and harbors a lie she told Kalayla that will rock the core of their relationship. And there is Lena, an elderly neighbor grappling with the memories of her marriage, the aftermath of obligatory decisions, and her relationship with her four adult children. Uncle Clarence, the brother of Kalayla’s late father, is himself a victim of a terrible childhood tragedy and is a constant threat to Kalayla and Maureen. And Kalayla’s grandparents, one set whom she has never known, and the other set who struggles to be close to her. It all comes to a head when a chance friendship reveals Maureen’s lie and all the hurt, remorse, and redemption that comes with it. These adults, and the people they introduce to Kalayla, protect, challenge, comfort, and threaten Kalayla as she grapples with harsh truths and their aftermath. And this compels them to face realities and consequences in their lives.

I like this novel because it touches upon my dual fascination with family dynamics and personal maturity. Jeannie Nicholas writes about both in ways that make me laugh, sigh, and feel. Family is complicated - it is familiar, kind, cruel, connected by blood ties, and chosen in love. And this novel has all of that and more.

I do not have any negative comments – Kalayla is well-written with few grammatical errors outside of the character dialect. The author writes in the first-person narrative of the major characters – Kalayla, Maureen, and Lena - which adds richness to the storyline. I hope to read more novels from this author.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I give this rating because Jeannie Nicholas writes in a way that makes me smile at Kalayla’s fiery spirit, empathize with those who either succumbed to or defied societal and familial expectations, and champion them as they wrestle with trauma, forgiveness, redemption, love, and the strength to change.

I recommend Kalayla for adults who like fiction that mimics the complexities of life and how it turns out alright, complexities and all.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I agree with most of the points in the review because I read the book too and loved it. Nice review!
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”