Official Review: Grand Lure: Africa by Michel L'Aventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Grand Lure: Africa by Michel L'Aventure

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grand Lure: Africa" by Michel L'Aventure.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What an adventure! First, I’ll acknowledge the four out of four stars rating that Grand Lure: Africa earned after taking me on an African savanna journey, and Michel L’Aventure’s words became images evoking an abundance of emotions. The author’s translation of French idioms made it even easier for me to jump on board with the various destinations, such as Barandi, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Togo, and Paris. The French expressions were perfectly integrated into the book’s narration and dialogue, bringing a cultural authenticity to the charm of the main character, Charles. He’s a freelance French journalist and a free spirit looking for the scoop of his career.

With financial backing from his friend Pierre, a wealthy French entrepreneur, Charles departs for West Africa. Through his travels, I discovered Africa’s history, learned about the culture, and laughed with natives. When Charles investigates an African organization still practicing the rituals of the Triboumda Tribe, which involve preparing the “body to absorb the Spirits of Our Ancestors,” I felt so close to death that I almost heard it whispering in my ear. An underworld of money laundering, slave trade, racial discrimination, and the sex trafficking of young girls — along with the lack of food and resources for African nations — are contrasted with the mesmerizing landscapes, the song of bee-eaters, and the cultural and ancestral traditions of the local people.

The author’s writing style corresponds to the protagonist’s occupation as a well-versed and gregarious journalist keen to articulate “forceful words to his readers” through his electrifying stories. Sometimes, the colorful language blossomed the narrative’s design. As a debut novel, L’Aventure provided his readers with a rich historical context grounded in real-life experiences against the backdrop of the sharp contrast between Africa’s wealth and poverty.

The editors who helped polish this manuscript did an exceptional job in proofreading and refining the syntax, which perfectly described the intensity or euphoria of the scenes. Thus, I did not stumble upon missing commas or other grammatical errors. At the same time, the fluent writing conveyed Charles’ discovery of Africa — including organizations, culture, and people — where “slavery is still alive and well.”

Sadness befell after the novel’s final words, and I woke up; the last images of Africa’s heat, inhabitants, life-threatening situations, blessed moments, and alluring panoramas faded away.

Adventurers, writers, and readers who wish to embark on a journey to another world can take a voyage to Grand Lure: Africa. Sail back to December 2010 with this opening line: “Africa, a continent rich in beauty and natural resources, has historically been the target of greedy colonists and/or native usurpers, such as military and civilian government officials.”

Grand Lure: Africa
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I love the energy that this review gives off, it’s confident and well written and shows that the book deserves the “4 out of 4 stars” rating and it assures me that the reviewer read the book. Also, the fact that the book was well-edited means that reading would be very fluid and enjoyable for the readers and that’s just great.
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

Just by sampling the above review one looks forward to reading this book about the African continent. It sounds adventurous and informative, drawing on the author's experiences during his extensive travels. It is certainly going to be on my bookshelves.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

With financial backing from his friend Pierre, a wealthy French entrepreneur, Charles departs for West Africa. Through his travels, I discovered Africa’s history, learned about the culture, and laughed with natives. When Charles investigates an African organization still practicing the rituals of the Triboumda Tribe, which involve preparing the “body to absorb the Spirits of Our Ancestors,” I felt so close to death that I almost heard it whispering in my ear. An underworld of money laundering, slave trade, racial discrimination, and the sex trafficking of young girls — along with the lack of food and resources for African nations — are contrasted with the mesmerizing landscapes, the song of bee-eaters, and the cultural and ancestral traditions of the local people.
It has always baffled me that a continent so rich in natural resources and with such a fascinating culture, experiences also some of the worst living conditions and social issues.
Since I'm not able to visit Africa anytime soon, I will surely add this book to my to-read list.
Thank you, as always, for a fascinating review!
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

I've traversed East Africa and I have to admit that it is a beautiful place, especially Kenya. There's rich wildlife and trees that nearly made me leave my own country. I have, however, not be privileged to visit West Africa. While there's an ongoing pandemic, I picked this book and read the West Africa's culture and some practices are beyond imagination, especially Female Genital Mutilation.
Such an amazing review!
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

Lunastella wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 10:57
It has always baffled me that a continent so rich in natural resources and with such a fascinating culture, experiences also some of the worst living conditions and social issues.
Since I'm not able to visit Africa anytime soon, I will surely add this book to my to-read list.
Thank you, as always, for a fascinating review!
It is paradox that with all Africa's resources, people continue to live in poverty. Wild animals are diminishing, domestic animals die due to lack of food and water, while rivers flow with fresh water. I do not know whether to blame the in-articulated political systems or corruption.
Kiymo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kiymo »

It has baffled me so much what went wrong with Africa yet it has almost every natural resources a continent need to be rich yet Africa still remains very poor
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

InStoree wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 03:57 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grand Lure: Africa" by Michel L'Aventure.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What an adventure! First, I’ll acknowledge the four out of four stars rating that Grand Lure: Africa earned after taking me on an African savanna journey, and Michel L’Aventure’s words became images evoking an abundance of emotions. The author’s translation of French idioms made it even easier for me to jump on board with the various destinations, such as Barandi, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Togo, and Paris. The French expressions were perfectly integrated into the book’s narration and dialogue, bringing a cultural authenticity to the charm of the main character, Charles. He’s a freelance French journalist and a free spirit looking for the scoop of his career.

The author’s writing style corresponds to the protagonist’s occupation as a well-versed and gregarious journalist keen to articulate “forceful words to his readers” through his electrifying stories. Sometimes, the colorful language blossomed the narrative’s design. As a debut novel, L’Aventure provided his readers with a rich historical context grounded in real-life experiences against the backdrop of the sharp contrast between Africa’s wealth and poverty.

The editors who helped polish this manuscript did an exceptional job in proofreading and refining the syntax, which perfectly described the intensity or euphoria of the scenes. Thus, I did not stumble upon missing commas or other grammatical errors. At the same time, the fluent writing conveyed Charles’ discovery of Africa — including organizations, culture, and people — where “slavery is still alive and well.”

Sadness befell after the novel’s final words, and I woke up; the last images of Africa’s heat, inhabitants, life-threatening situations, blessed moments, and alluring panoramas faded away.

Adventurers, writers, and readers who wish to embark on a journey to another world can take a voyage to Grand Lure: Africa. Sail back to December 2010 with this opening line: “Africa, a continent rich in beauty and natural resources, has historically been the target of greedy colonists and/or native usurpers, such as military and civilian government officials.”

Grand Lure: Africa
View: on Bookshelves
I don't know who is to blame, I don't have enough knowledge about the country. But I know it is a beautiful country with plenty of natural resources and cultural wealth that still struggles with appalling poverty.
Starling99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starling99.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Starling99 »

This book sounds really culturally enlightening as well as an amazing story. Your review is infused with so much enthusiasm that I would read this book just to experience the descriptions and scenes since I have little knowledge of the West Africa. I'm sure I will find the descriptions of the sharp divide between poverty and wealth heartbreaking :cry: .
Minerva Pregheira
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minerva-pregheira.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Minerva Pregheira »

The review gives accounts so fluidly and the excitement can be felt off the screen. A great way to learn is through reading and fictional that successfully manage to integrate both a learning experience and an entertaining read are truly gems!
R_Royalty+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_Royalty+ »

:techie-reference: This is a lovely piece,although I felt that it isn't a piece isn't for all ages to read(as most of the English used might be very bombastic for some readers. This book gives an insite to the African culture and we see how things were done. Africa is a very rich place with a outstanding background. I really enjoyed this read
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

This review was exceptionally well written, thank you so much for writing it. The story sounds magical, entertaining, and educational. This book is definitely going on my to-read list.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Really impressive review. It just inspires you to read a book, even if you may not like Africa.
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

This book sounds like it is beautifully written. Adventure books are always a must-read for me because they are educative. Thank you for a wonderful review. I can't wait to read it.
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

First of all, thank you for this amazing review. I was always interested in learning about the culture of people from other continent. From your review, I understood that this book tells about the culture and practices of Africa. I am definitely going to read this book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”