Official Review: Until Irene by A'taris Anthony

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Cleared for Takeoff by John R. “Rusty” Potter

Official Review: Until Irene by A'taris Anthony

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Until Irene" by A'taris Anthony.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Humans always desire to defend what they consider theirs, but sometimes they resort to drastic measures in doing so. When death is added to an already escalating situation, it seems the only way to solve the problem is shedding more blood. In Until Irene by A'taris Anthony, we learn that the pain of physical destruction is nothing compared to the pain of hatred.

Lamont knew that things were tense in Paterson, but he had no idea just how much he was going to make it worse. He made a seemingly inconsequential decision that put him on the road at a particular time, and in a few seconds, his world was seriously impacted. The spin-off from it would cost several people their lives, leave others severely injured, and bring immeasurable pain to many others. As the situation seemed to get hopeless, a storm brought unlikely foes together, and it was up to them to decide whether all the mistakes made by the different parties were worth forgiving.

I love the storyline of this book. It's simple and straightforward, but it still has a lot to teach. Though it is a bit predictable and there is not much buildup of suspense, the emphasis is more on the internal and external struggles each character has to face and the slow transition from doing what is considered best to what is right.

The author conveyed so much through her writing. The book's message was communicated beautifully, and the emotions of most of the characters resonated with me. The book flowed very smoothly and appeared to be well thought out. No matter how little, each action or decision precipitated some other events that somehow tied in with the book's overall plot. Everything was connected; there were no unnecessary scenes or holes in the plot. It made the book tighter and more concise. This was what I liked the most about the book.

The characters were very human in their thoughts, feelings, and desires. They were realistic, and it was easy to connect with them even though their circumstances were different. Like any other person, they sought comfort, peace, and happiness, and they took steps — sometimes wrong ones — to achieve these things. I saw how the main characters slowly evolved and how their decision-making process was impacted in the process. It wasn't abrupt or unrealistic.

One problem I found in this book was the abundance of errors; it seemed like there was one on every page. This posed a distraction for me while reading, and I would recommend another round of professional editing for this book so that other readers wouldn't have the same distracting experience. Another problem was that the narrative was pleasant but forgettable. While reading it, I enjoyed the story, but it didn't leave much of an impact on me a few moments after I was done.

I rate it 3 out of 4 stars due to the plethora of errors, and I recommend it to anybody who enjoys meaningful or slightly evocative storylines.

Until Irene
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: A Long Night of Chaos by Paul Clark

Post by Michelle Fred »

Thank you for a detailed review. Your writing captures the essence of the book beautifully. For someone who enjoys pleasure reads as much as impactful books, I don't mind that the plot is forgettable.
nikechi
Currently Reading: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: The Soulmate Prophecy - Book One - The Birth by Yasmina Haque

Post by nikechi »

This book seems to be straight to the point and realistic. That's nice for a change from the usual suspense books I read.

Thanks for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace and calm reign the in chaos :reading-4:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”