Official Review: Incentives by George Frankllin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 314
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Incentives by George Frankllin

Official Review: Incentives by George Frankllin

Post by pricklypurple »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Incentives" by George Frankllin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Incentives by George Frankllin is a political satire that follows the story of Red Johansson. Red works in economic development, and he is particularly involved in the town of Glenn, Michigan. Along with a cast of absurd and comical characters, Red sets out to develop a seemingly useless town into a lucrative enterprise for himself and all those involved. The team he puts together will stop at nothing to receive all of the government kickbacks and incentives possible. 

The list of crazy characters in this novel is too long to include them all. There are Armando and Rosa, a couple of potheads who spend most of their time stoned. They are tasked with opening a medical dispensary of sorts. Also along for the ride are Bogey and Skeeter, a couple of entrepreneurs who enjoy beer and Costco samples. They are to head the combination craft beer and fishing business. I cannot forget the senator and his big-bosomed wife, Berdenna. She sets out to open a topless coffee shop along with her geriatric second cousin who believes she is Marilyn Monroe. These are only a few of the cast members in this comical tale.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. When I first started reading, I thought it would be a lot drier and more serious regarding politics. As I continued, I realized there was absolutely nothing serious about it.The story got more far-fetched and bizarre as it went on. Every time I thought it wasn't possible to add in any more side stories or humorous shenanigans, the author proved me wrong. It is definitely an enjoyable and fast-paced story. The author flipped back and forth between the tales of various characters. This made it easy to remember what was going on in each story and to keep the reader engaged in the action. Also, there were times when the entire cast came together for giant slapstick scenes. 

This book was really fun to read. The sheer hilarity of the tales made for more than a few laughable moments. The author clearly created something unique. It is obvious that he took a lot of time in devising this intricate plot. That is what I liked most about this book. I appreciated the time and effort it must have taken to make a story like this come together and to make some sort of sense in the end. I like that there is a message to be gained from it as well. Disturbing as it is, these over-the-top stories serve as an example of how corrupt politics can be. There wasn't really much to dislike about this book, but I guess my least favorite part was the use of some clichés that just seemed predictable to me. However, I think this almost fits with the theme of the book and the satire style in general.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is well-written and executed in a way that can be enjoyed by a variety of readers. Yet, there were a handful of editing errors like missing apostrophes or unnecessary commas. While this book might be offensive to some, I think it does an excellent job of criticizing a variety of people and positions. I didn't feel like it was too one-sided. Therefore, I would recommend it to fans of comedy, satire, and even political novels. It does have a lot of adult-themed topics that would not be suitable for younger readers. I had a good time reading this book, and I'm sure you will get a chuckle from it too. 

Incentives
View: on Bookshelves
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The LadyKillers War
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing your review, buy I don't think I will enjoy this book. I don't like satires.
katorgator99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by katorgator99 »

I wasnt sure if i would like this book either, but it was HILARIOUS! Absolutely loved the zany cast of characters. It was entertaining, informative and laugh-out-loud funny. Also, Franklin deals with the political climate in an upbeat and light way. He really seems to know what hes talking about. Would highly recommend and its not too long of a read

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”