Review by Victoria Copsey -- The VD Anthology by Various

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Victoria Copsey -- The VD Anthology by Various

Post by Victoria Copsey »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The VD Anthology" by Various.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The VD Anthology: Volume 2 by Various is a collection of poetry, short stories and extracts exploring a wide range of themes, emotions and experiences. The works within this book are collated from a group of writers, Club Verbal Discharge, that meet in London to share their pieces. These writers have continued to produce provocative and enigmatic work throughout the rollercoaster year that was 2020. Inspired by the pandemic, Brexit and political uncertainty, these writers have created relatable, thoughtful and cathartic literary work that provokes thought and admiration.

This anthology evokes a vast range of emotions from the escapist comedic stories to the painful reality of many in the extract from ‘Big Cats of Cactus Creek’ by Cheryl Baden-Powell to exceptionally crafted satire. The reader can go on a different emotional journey with each of the extracts, which leave an irrevocable impression.

One of the most enjoyable and profound parts of this anthology is how every extract and story is relatable. If not directly relatable, then indirectly through the emotions portrayed by the author. Although each piece is personal, the feelings and experiences felt by the author, literary subject and reader are universal. I especially liked the visual inclusions of Sophia Rainbow Haddad in ‘North East to North Africa’. My favourite piece is the short story 'A Herman Melville Cinderella' by Alexandra Liedinger. This story details the search for a woman, desired by the Prince, that is the cause of chaos, greed and bloodshed. This beautifully illustrative prose drew me in, and although it is only a few pages long, I felt as though I had entered another reality.

There was nothing that I specifically did not like about this anthology. My only criticism is that, perhaps, some of the extracts were difficult to truly appreciate, as you cannot read the entire work. I would have also liked the anthology to be a bit longer - so that I could read more from this talented group of writers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as it is a thoroughly enjoyable and thought-provoking collection of works. I did not notice any errors or spelling-mistakes in the anthology, and each author has written clear intricate pieces. Therefore, I believe it has been professionally edited. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in short, relatable stories and poems or a little bit of escapism from these unprecedented times. However, the reader should be aware that there is a reference to sexual assault and rape, which one might find triggering.

The VD Anthology
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Claire Vaal »

This seems like an intereting novel. Great review!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This is an incredible review. Bravo
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:

Claire Vaal wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 01:10 This seems like an intereting novel. Great review!
Thank you!
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:

Godspraise Precious wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 07:27 This is an incredible review. Bravo
Thank you for stopping by!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many readers would enjoy the emotions and ability to relate to the stories these authors present. The pandemic caused many different emotions that readers can release through reading these stories. I enjoyed your motivating remarks about wanting to read more of these stories! Great writing.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: The Littlest Soul by George Schwimmer, Ph.D.

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your intriguing review. I'm not really into poems, but your review makes the anthology so interesting that I want to check this book out.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! The fact that it is inspired by everything political and the uncertainties of last year and even of today, just shows how great this book is. I should definitely check it out.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 11:19 Many readers would enjoy the emotions and ability to relate to the stories these authors present. The pandemic caused many different emotions that readers can release through reading these stories. I enjoyed your motivating remarks about wanting to read more of these stories! Great writing.
Sou Hi wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 01:51 Thanks for your intriguing review. I'm not really into poems, but your review makes the anthology so interesting that I want to check this book out.
Mtibza eM wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 02:53 Wow! The fact that it is inspired by everything political and the uncertainties of last year and even of today, just shows how great this book is. I should definitely check it out.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I hope you enjoy the read if you do decide to check it out!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: If God is Good
Bookshelf Size: 472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Blue Zeus by Carol J. Walker
2023 Reading Goal: 90
2023 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting anthology that actually makes a statement. I'm not sure it's for me, but I appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Dark Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

The ability to produce proactive, cathartic, enigmatic works throughout a global pandemic is commendable. It sounds like this anthology offers an unforgettable reading experience! Thanks so much for sharing your informative insights.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”