Official Review: Ehndale's Defeat by DA Cassidy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Goddess Journal by Joy Alantis

Official Review: Ehndale's Defeat by DA Cassidy

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ehndale's Defeat" by DA Cassidy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ehndale is extremely wealthy. No one really knows him, but many detest him as much as they admire his attractiveness and wealth. He has a secret book in his library containing names of his conquests. Nobody is permitted to read the book. Anyone who looks at it pays dearly even though no one knows when and how. Ehndale solicits help from his protégé, Vikki, to find a potential candidate for a project he has. He requires one who is ambitious but has been frustrated with life, which would make the indoctrination process easier. Vikki’s parents had not been well off and had warned her severally to stay away from Ehndale. However, she had chosen to pursue financial success at the expense of a dwindling relationship with her parents and sister. She was, therefore, capable of finding an ambitious candidate.

Thurmond was eventually picked as the most suitable candidate. The book narrates his background, why he was selected, and so much more. Ehndale’s Defeat: Lost to Heaven: Book 1 was authored by DA Cassidy. It is the first book and a captivating introduction to the trilogy. Ethics and morality are on the back burner, and all that matters is profit and pleasure. There is nothing like the afterlife, and any attachment that may hinder one from the goal is forbidden. Your input is acceptable to the level that it does not contradict the mighty man’s view. These are some of the things that made the book thought-provoking.

The plot was the most intriguing thing about the book. The author carefully created a huge mountain out of an anthill, and, as follows, it was easy to comprehend why petty issues could evoke extreme reactions. At first, the story was simple, and I could not have guessed how complex it became as it progressed. Further, the slow pace and vivid descriptions made the story a bit boring. However, these are the qualities that gave the book its uniqueness and made it stand out eventually. Consequently, my reading experience was fascinating down to the concluding page. The ending was equally spectacular. It was one little, intentional, and selfless act that changed everything substantially.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. The characters were exceptional, and all of them had significant roles to fulfill. I am delighted the author developed them brilliantly and realistically as the book was largely character-driven. The mystery surrounding Ehndale made him unpredictable. Vikki was enterprising and goal-driven. She had taken after her mentor, but the constant conflict in her mind in the wake of meeting Kate revealed another side that she had tried to bury. Many questions filled my mind when I thought of the implications of everyone following Ehndale’s example. Fortunately, the distinct personalities maintained balance in a world where moral values, belief, pleasure, and amoralism were at war.

My only suggestion is that the brief description of the characters, in the beginning, would have been written at the end. That would provide readers a chance to do their individual character assessments and later compare them with the author’s descriptions. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because I discovered a few grammatical errors. I recommend it to all fans of fiction addressing the question of good and evil. There a few expletives in the book that will not detract from its general enjoyment, though. The moral and ethical dilemmas in the book will prompt every reader to think critically.

Ehndale's Defeat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

Your review is quite interesting. The central theme of greed Is something many just can't let go and this has cussed many much more than they bargain for.
This sounds like a great read too.
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Awakening the Soul of Power by Christian de la Huerta

Post by Reviewer100 »

The character in question, Ehndale, looks like an impressive character. I'll love to read more about him.
Ibrahim Mekkawy
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibrahim Mekkawy »

It gives the necessary strength to people who have problems and are tired in their lives, however it encourages them to rise again to life and overcome all the difficulties they face.
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Drianie »

I love that this novel is character-driven and explores moral and ethical themes. The mysterious and interesting characters will definitely make it worth the read. I enjoyed reading your excellent review. Thanks!
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Skeletal
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong

Post by kdstrack »

The prohibited book of secrets! Ehndale is quite the authoritarian character. I liked your suggestion about the placement of the character description. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”