Official Review: Depression Where by Briana Isham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lunastella
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: My Not-So Secret
Bookshelf Size: 1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Trust by Aprille Canniff

Official Review: Depression Where by Briana Isham

Post by Lunastella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Depression Where" by Briana Isham.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have battled with depression since I was a teen. And I'm not alone. 16.2 million adults and approximately 1.9 million children ages 3 to 17 have been diagnosed with depression just in the USA. Depression Where: Journey To Recovery by Briana Isham is a 13-day journal to help the reader cope with this debilitating disease. It includes, among other things, quotes, journal prompts, a list of depression symptoms, and a list of resources to turn to for help.

I applaud the intention of the author to help with such a common mental health problem. In principle, the idea of journaling is fabulous. It has been proven that journaling helps to manage anxiety, depression, and stress. Some techniques suggested, like the S.T.O.P. one, are legitimately helpful. The handwritten-like font gives the journal a cozy feeling that I enjoyed.

To be honest, I was disappointed by this book. The journal prompts are all the same, and the rest is information that one can easily find on Wikipedia, Healthline, Web MD, or any other similar website. The author, at least, hyperlinked some parts of the text to redirect you to helpful websites. The quotes, except the ones by the author, pop up on Pinterest on the first try. Briana Isham also makes some very bold claims that show a lack of deep understanding of how mental health problems work. For example, she advises to remember that "you are loved" and "dark moments don’t last forever." Depression, unfortunately, is like having gray-colored glasses that prevent you from seeing this. This phenomenon is known as cognitive distortion. She also asserts that "you are the light of your parent’s life." But she can't possibly know that. Child maltreatment, from emotional neglect to downright abuse, has been directly linked with depression in a plethora of research studies. Almost all the book is full of platitudes that people with depression have heard time and again.

Furthermore, I was also left wondering what led the author to write such a book. I'm sure there's a story behind it, and sharing it might make the depression sufferer feel less like an anomaly.

I found over ten editing mistakes. These are minor but bothersome in such a short book. I rate Depression Where: Journey To Recovery by Briana Isham 1 out of 4 stars because of these editing flaws, the repetitive journal prompts, the lack of originality, and the misunderstanding of the complexities of mental illnesses.

I would recommend Depression Where: Journey To Recovery by Briana Isham to readers who want a quick compendium of resources about depression. This is not a suitable book for readers looking for a deep-dive on this mental health issue, who are searching for original healing tactics, who need a comprehensive and diverse journal, or that crave a relatable story.

Depression Where
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
amrinzaeda
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrinzaeda.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by amrinzaeda »

How unfortunate that on paper it sounds like a wonderful idea that could help countless people but the execution was lacking. I do hope the author takes your points into consideration. I agree with you and though I’ve not experienced it, I think depression is a complex issue and deserves more attention and accurate, science based information in media. Thanks for your detailed review.
Mindful Wordsmith
2021 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindful-wordsmith.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Mindful Wordsmith »

It seems that the author wants to genuinely help people with mental illnesses but has failed to understand the issues justly. Even good intentions can prove damaging. I wish the author had researched the topic well and had some professionals as co-authors.
And as far as the review is concerned, I think you have dealt with it most kindly. Your review is balanced and well-written. Thanks for this enlightening review.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
angielynnjoy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by angielynnjoy »

Based on the title, it looks like the book is good. More to learn and what it's all about.
Sararob06
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

Depression is something so many people can relate to. It’s sad this book lacked in so many areas.
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Sararob06 wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 16:07 Depression is something so many people can relate to. It’s sad this book lacked in so many areas.
It is very sad. Because if someone desperately tries to find help in this journal, they will feel worse.
Thanks for stopping by!
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 03:59 It seems that the author wants to genuinely help people with mental illnesses but has failed to understand the issues justly. Even good intentions can prove damaging. I wish the author had researched the topic well and had some professionals as co-authors.
And as far as the review is concerned, I think you have dealt with it most kindly. Your review is balanced and well-written. Thanks for this enlightening review.
I think her heart is in the right place but, as you say, when one lacks the knowledge is the moment to call the experts. She could've talked to people with depression, to psychologists, or psychiatrists.
Thank you for your kind words.
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

angielynnjoy wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 06:01 Based on the title, it looks like the book is good. More to learn and what it's all about.
The title is promising, but the book is severely underdeveloped.
Thanks for stopping by!
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

amrinzaeda wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 00:40 How unfortunate that on paper it sounds like a wonderful idea that could help countless people but the execution was lacking. I do hope the author takes your points into consideration. I agree with you and though I’ve not experienced it, I think depression is a complex issue and deserves more attention and accurate, science based information in media. Thanks for your detailed review.
It is, indeed, very sad. I'm sure the author's intentions are good, but people with depression are already in a fragile state and some uninformed claims of the author can even make them feel worse.
Thank you for your comment.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

The title and book cover are so attractive. Its absurd to know that however much the author wants to help depressed people, she has not included her experience in order to motivate others. Thanks for the honest review.
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Tarilan wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 04:34 The title and book cover are so attractive. Its absurd to know that however much the author wants to help depressed people, she has not included her experience in order to motivate others. Thanks for the honest review.
The whole book has so many deficiencies...It's sad because of the importance of the subject. But thanks for stopping by!
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

Depression is a serious issue. And especially in these trying times too. It's a shame the author didn't do justice to the topic. Your review is fantastic
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

Excel 2021 wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 00:31 Depression is a serious issue. And especially in these trying times too. It's a shame the author didn't do justice to the topic. Your review is fantastic
It is incredibly serious, and it pains me to think some of the uneducated statements presented could affect someone. Thank you for your kind comment.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2021 Reading Goal: 165
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

Thank you so much for your insightful review. When it's so easy to find multiple articles on depression on the web, a book needs to add value, and the unhelpful standard advice sounds pretty offensive! It seems the unusual title and cover are as creative as this gets.
Pronouns: she, her
Lunastella

Post by Lunastella »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 17:00 Thank you so much for your insightful review. When it's so easy to find multiple articles on depression on the web, a book needs to add value, and the unhelpful standard advice sounds pretty offensive! It seems the unusual title and cover are as creative as this gets.
That's exactly what I tried to say, but you said it better! If you're going to write a book about a topic on which one can find so much information, you either add your personal experience or something new. And yes, those comments bothered me. I can't possibly picture a kid whose parents are abusive reading this...
Thank you so much for your comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”