Review by Luna 24 -- Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Luna 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luna-24.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review by Luna 24 -- Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by Luna 24 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spirit of the Season" by Brian Lamont.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spirit of the Season is an amazing tale of a Candle Maker’s life journey, from a clueless young boy to a generous grown up. The story is set up in the 18th century in the countryside of England. The candle maker’s life has been a peculiar one right from the start. The introverted candle maker lost his mother in his early days and immersed himself in nothing but work. But after meeting his wife his life changed beautifully and he started loving and enjoying his life.

Unfortunately, that happiness did not last long and soon darkness surrounded the candle maker’s life once again. After losing the dearest person in his life, he shut himself from the outside world. This not only changed him but also the people in his village. After knowing the damage he caused, he decided to help them out, which brought bigger joy in people’s life because of him.

This story captured me at the very first line. I always like reading about the past century countryside stories. And this story takes place in such a time and place. The way the author has written the story had given me a clear picture in my head throughout the book. While the story seems light, there are certain places, which was emotional and really thought-provoking.

The thing I liked the most is how the author developed the activities to traditions, which makes clear sense. This would be a perfect book to give a read in the festive season. I always wondered how the Christmas Eve traditions might have started, and this one came as a perfect gift for me. Though it is historical fiction, it made me completely agree with the author’s opinion. I also liked how there were no names given for the characters but referred to as the chandler’s boy, the tailor, the ringmaster, and so on.

I loved how the author Brian Lamont amazingly structured the story, which was kind of like unraveling a puzzle. There were not many characters, but those who were in there did justification to the story. I loved the candle maker’s thought on “We all need someone to believe in us,” which was true of course. And that someone could be ourselves, to live our life happily.

I think this book is well-edited that I cannot find any errors and it kept my interest until the end. So I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I suggest this book to readers who like to read about Christmas tales. It is very simple and light so I think it would a good read for Children too.

Spirit of the Season
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”