Official Review: Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Official Review: Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by Nonny2208 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Poor Cow" by Martins Agbonlahor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Traditions and cultural heritage are very important in society. It preserves the history of people and ensures that their way of life isn't completely forgotten. However, some cultural practices and ideologies have had and continue to have a negative impact on society today. Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor is a fictional story that details the negative impact some archaic cultural practices have on the people of Nigeria, especially the youths and children in rural Nigeria.

Onaiwu was born to Ivie and Ihama after they had lost several children before they could be birthed into the world. Onaiwu was said to be an Ogbanje(a child from the spirit world, who comes to earth and hurries to depart). Her parents were told that she wouldn't live for more than ten years unless a ceremony to sever her connection to the spirit world was carried out. Onaiwu grew into a fine young girl and the ceremony was successfully carried out. At a very young age, Onaiwu was married off to Chief Uyi Osaheni, who was old enough to be her father. At first, she disagreed with her parents' decision, but eventually had no choice but to yield. This isn't the end of Onaiwu's story as she experiences a lot of life-changing experiences that eventually leads her to Italy where she's asked to go into forced prostitution. Grab a copy of this book to find out how Onaiwu journeys through this harsh world.

Onaiwu's story is a tragic one indeed. As painful and sad as it is, it portrays what goes on in some parts of my country, Nigeria, today. I think the reason why the story got me so emotional is because of the fact that I have witnessed some of the things portrayed in the book firsthand. I've always believed that some unnecessary archaic and barbaric practices should be abolished in Nigeria. Some of these practices were mentioned in the book and it includes female circumcision, underage marriages, and the wrong notion that the female child is inferior. This book shows that people need to start taking a stand against such practices. It also portrays the corruption present in the Nigerian justice system. Macpherson became a victim of injustice after he tried to stand up for his beliefs.

Human trafficking and forced prostitution is another thing that was portrayed in this book. Onaiwu unknowingly fell victim to human trafficking due to her gullibility and the wickedness of society. I've come across many persons in Nigeria today, who are ready to do anything to travel out of the country illegally. While some are aware of the gory details about such journeys, others are left completely in the dark. I just wish they can read this book to have an insight into the world that awaits them.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. It was magnificently written. It contains several strong themes that compels a reader to take action in the society. The structuring was also perfect and the characterization was top-notch. The major and minor characters were well-developed. My favorite character in the book is Macpherson. I love how he stood up to challenge what he felt was morally wrong. The book also contained several twists and turns, surprises, and enough suspense to make it very thrilling.

I couldn't find any errors, which shows that the book was professionally edited. The flow of the storyline was well-paced and the language used was simple. The book also had a real-life setting and the writing style of the author was superb. Therefore, I'm rating Another Poor Cow 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading stories that details problems encountered in societies. The book also contains profanity and sexual language.

Another Poor Cow
View: on Bookshelves
Sararob06
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

The subject matter described is very heavy on the heart. I majored in anthropology and absolutely love reading about other cultures so I will definitely check this out. I appreciate your honest opinions about your country and some of the cultural practices still taking place. Great job!
Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nonny2208 »

Sararob06 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 16:05 The subject matter described is very heavy on the heart. I majored in anthropology and absolutely love reading about other cultures so I will definitely check this out. I appreciate your honest opinions about your country and some of the cultural practices still taking place. Great job!
Thanks. You won't be disappointed if you read this. The storyline is very compelling and possesses cultural significance.
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Sundance by Robert Nissan

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love reading books that further my education about different countries and cultures. Thank you for this excellent review!
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by RHD »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 06:18 I love reading books that further my education about different countries and cultures. Thank you for this excellent review!
This is true about me too. The review is impressive!
Mmg8464
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 604
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmg8464.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Mmg8464 »

It's sad that archaic practices are still being practiced today. I am putting this in my to-read list. Thanks for your review.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Just reading the review gave me shivers, the thought of the archaic and barbaric practices still going on today, making people suffer, punishing others who stand up for what they believe in - it for sure must not be an easy book to read but it can be a real eye-opener.
B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Enchanted Everglades
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Cadillac Hubie by Rad Crews

Post by B Creech »

This sounds like a very emotional story! It is so sad what goes on in other countries! For women to have to endure being circumcised is horrific! And being caught up in the trafficking is also sad! Thank you for the wonderful review!
B. Creech
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Your review is even more significant as you are from Nigeria and know about these problems firsthand. It must have been very emotional for you to read this book. As I live in Spain, I hear and read about the illegal immigration issue on a daily basis and it breaks my heart.
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: A Father's Love
Bookshelf Size: 325
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Far Strange Country - Book I of II by Arielle Hunter

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Reading about other cultures makes me grateful for the life I have. Learning about other cultures helps individuals become more tolerant and understanding of people different from them. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
katmeynaj345
2021 Reading Goal: 4
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by katmeynaj345 »

Such a good book and review. We all know that harmful traditional practices are beliefs that are capable of causing death, fear, diseases, stigma, physical pain, psychological problems. They usually have negative effects to the health of a person and even social well being of a person. I feel like many authors should write a book on such heavy matters in order to create awareness to the society. Onaiwu is a good example of what many young youth are going through.Thanks for the review. This book is a must read for me
Alda_278
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alda_278 »

I hadn't heard about this interesting book until now that I read you review. Thank you for writing it! It really got our attention.
Lostsoul20
Currently Reading: House of Hoops
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Lostsoul20 »

It’s hard to believe that these traditions still go on today. The sex trade, human trafficking destroying so many lives. It’s not just the victim that goes through it, their family not knowing what happened to them. Enjoyed the review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Hiding in Plain Sight: by Thomas LeBrun

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I like that this book has real-life settings. Having books about different cultures is very important. Thank you for the informative review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Onaiwu's stories seem to demonstrate many things in Africa, such as the spiritual ceremony, marrying off a child to someone much older, and the women's inferiority.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”