Official Review: Esther Crowder's Baby Boy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Peak of the Mountain Foot of the Sky
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Official Review: Esther Crowder's Baby Boy

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Esther Crowder's Baby Boy" by Cathy Hickerson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Esther Crowder's Baby Boy by Cathy Hickerson is a fictional story about the pain, denial, and grief a family goes through. Eight months pregnant, twenty-three-year-old Esther is about to deliver her fifth child. Esther’s pregnancy has been difficult, and she has been suffering from severe headaches, so her mother, Clarice, goes to her house to help her with her four other children. She tells her mother that she believes she will die when the baby is born, how she wants to be dressed for the funeral, and that she wants her eldest sister, Mary Margaret, to raise her newborn baby. Clarice denies that her youngest daughter is going to die. Twelve days after Kenny Ray’s birth, Esther dies. Esther’s husband, Raylin, had always been verbally abusive to Esther and never able to provide food to his family. He supports his wife’s wish to have her sister raise their son. Mary Margaret and her husband, George, can not afford to legally adopt Kenny Ray and are worried that Raylin will change his mind. Esther’s family is all worried that Raylin will not allow them to see the other children now that she is dead. Will Raylin change his mind? Will Esther’s family ever see the four older children again?

The author takes you into the world of faith in God that can help you make correct decisions, overcome grief, pain, and sadness, forgiveness, denial, and live with decisions, not of your own making. She tells you how life events are like storms of nature. Illnesses, relationships, and financial hardships are storms that you have to learn to live with. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child and not knowing what the future for your grandchildren is going to be like. When a loved one dies, many experience anger towards survivors and in God. Why their loved one? Sleep is difficult because of memories of the loved one. From personal experience, I know that even once you sleep, the dreams about your loved ones can be very vivid.

I like how the author made her points about having faith in God without pushing religion. The points were made as facts that allow the reader to make their own assumption as to their validity in their own lives. The turmoil that Esther’s family goes through is very realistic and will make you cry. There was nothing I disliked about this book. It was well-written and had no profanity or sexual content. The story flowed smoothly, and the book was hard to put down.

I recommend this short book to any Christian who has suffered the loss of a loved one. This book will help you with the anger you feel towards God while trying to make sense of your loss. Atheists may not like the book due to the religious aspect.

I only found two small errors in the book, so I believe it has been edited by a professional. I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Esther Crowder's Baby Boy
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Nqobile771 »

Knowing the kind of person Raylin is, Esther's family had reason to worry about the children. I wonder how things turned out. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”