Official Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Hire Right, Fire Right by Roxi Bahar Hewertson

Official Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murdering the macho managers" by Ben reuben.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The corporate world before the 1998 Human Rights Act witnessed numerous aggressive expressions of power where the seniors felt godlike in the presence of their juniors. Most of these offenders went unpunished because of the lack of disciplinary actions guiding work ethics. Maybe murdering these power abusers would be a justified punishment. Well, that’s what Ben Reuben makes his readers believe in this poignant fiction book Murdering the Macho Managers.

Engineering Promotions Ltd was a promotion conglomerate with records of ridding employees after making substantial inputs to the growth of the company. Her workers had a whole lot of attributes that could make you sick of your nine-to-five job. Stephen Foster was one of the few good eggs you could find in the crate of bad eggs in Engineering Promotions Ltd. Foster had an ulterior motive for this company and her owner Hadrian. Foster was assigned by Mr. Box, Hadrian’s business rival, to rejuvenate the confidence of Dr. Strauski after he was physically and mentally abused at the hands of Hadrian, Strauski’s former employer. Under the guidance of Mr. Box, Stephen and Dr. Strauski successfully masterminded the demise of Engineering Promotions Ltd and subsequently the murder of Hadrian.

The concept of this book was my major point of attraction when I selected the book. Macho managers, people who abuse power under their societal or authoritarian position, are a bunch one could hardly avoid. Macho managers exist mostly anywhere that there’s hierarchical power distribution. In this narrative, Hadrian was the embodiment of a macho manager. He once had one of his employees shot for saluting him, and on that same day, he shot another employee for not saluting him. That was the height of his tyranny. The author was eloquent with his words and description; he let the rawness of the story create the gruesome image he intended to portray. The rawness was highly needed for a story that cuts across racial discrimination, injustice, chauvinism and sexual discrimination.

There was quite a considerable amount of things that I didn’t like about this piece. The readers weren’t opportune to familiarize themselves with the characters and the setting, so this made the storyline seem a bit rushed. A character like Hadrian deserved to be in the limelight most of the time but was astonishingly introduced only in the last few pages of the book. I found a lot of distracting errors while reading the narrative. There were over ten of these errors, and they affected my reading flow. These are enough reasons to take away two stars and rate Murdering the Macho Managers 2 out of 4 stars.

Murdering the Macho Managers is suited for only a mature audience. I highly don’t recommend it to the younger audience. I think the contents would be too much for the younger audience to consume unless they are comfortable with the gore and the sexual innuendos that they’d encounter.

Murdering the macho managers
View: on Bookshelves
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Dissidence
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel that shows a certain attitude existing within corporations, where managers are sort of modern noble people and think they have the right of life and death over their employees. A shame about the flaws you pointed out, as the main theme is interesting. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

"Macho managers... are a bunch one could hardly avoid." I agree! I have encountered one of such... but I didn't resort to murder to be rid of him :lol2:
I love how you write.
Beautiful review.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: With Endless Love, Me: A borderline's diary by Yanni Logan

Post by Nqobile771 »

To see murder as a justified punishment can only mean that he suffered terribly at the hands of a "Macho manager". How sad! Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

NetMassimo wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:42 This seems a novel that shows a certain attitude existing within corporations, where managers are sort of modern noble people and think they have the right of life and death over their employees. A shame about the flaws you pointed out, as the main theme is interesting. Thank you for your honest review!
It's weird that such people still exist. Thanks for stopping by
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

Melexa wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:22 "Macho managers... are a bunch one could hardly avoid." I agree! I have encountered one of such... but I didn't resort to murder to be rid of him :lol2:
I love how you write.
Beautiful review.
Lol. I wouldn't advice murder. I wonder how you got rid of him. Thank you for your kind words.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eutoc
Currently Reading:

Post by Eutoc »

Nqobile771 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 06:56 To see murder as a justified punishment can only mean that he suffered terribly at the hands of a "Macho manager". How sad! Thanks for the review.
If only the author gave more details about this. But I guess it was severe. Thank you for commenting Nqobile

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

We should get rid of "Macho Managers" from our society. Their punishment has to be severe(I guess that's what the author implied) so that no one will attempt to behave like them. Thank you for a thorough review.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Tablito
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Hadrian having an employee shot for saluting him and on that very day having another employee suffer the same fate for not saluting him must have confused the other employees on what the fellow really required of them.
diana lowery
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Love Under Construction by Norma Allen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

The name Hadrian even sounds macho. I disliked him immediately just from reading your summary. I think I will skip this book, but thanks for the review.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Return to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Despite the unappealing subject of the book and the mentioned shortcomings, I appreciated your review. Great job!
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Key to Eternity by Mallory M. O'Connor
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I was surprised to learn that the Human Rights Act was only passed in 1998 in the UK. I would have thought that something as fundamental as that would have existed earlier.

As for the story, I could see why employees would get fed up and seek revenge on a tyrannical manager like Hadrian.

Thank you for an interesting review.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this book has potential if the flaws are fixed. I hope the author takes your criticism constructively. Thanks for your honest and interesting review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Deacon by Thomas Fargnoli

Post by MsH2k »

“ He once had one of his employees shot for saluting him, and on that same day, he shot another employee for not saluting him.” There is literally no pleasing this guy! This is an interesting storyline; sorry there were so many issues. Thanks for your review!
"Choose your heroes wisely."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Nmesoma »

Thank you for a great review. I really appreciate you pointing out the 'heavy content' in the book that might not be suited for some readers.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”