Official Review: St James Landing by Frank Waltmire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: St James Landing by Frank Waltmire

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "St James Landing" by Frank Waltmire.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

St James Landing, written by Frank Waltmire, takes place in a fictitious resort town called St James Landing (SJL) in southwestern Michigan. Thirty-seven-year-old protagonist Zachary Fields is an eligible bachelor who moved to SJL to escape a less-than-perfect past as a drug dealer. He blends in with the crowd in an upscale neighborhood, home to a picturesque group of people who like to socialize.

At the beginning of the book, an old friend of Zachary's from the old days, Bobo Kingsley, gets hit on his Harley and ends up in the hospital. Bobo was a rather rough middle-aged man, and Zachary felt that he would never fit in with the local crowd at SJL. But as the story progresses, Bobo does join Zachary in SJL, and surprising events unfold.

What I enjoyed the most in this novel was its well-developed cast of characters. I particularly liked the author's depiction of Penelope Cooper, a middle-aged professor of history who lived alone in a house near Zachary's. Penelope and Miles Cooper, her younger brother, are descendants of Lucas and Naomi Cooper, founders of SJL, and Penelope is passionate about Michigan's history. As a descendant of SJL's founders, Penelope's fight to preserve the town's historical places made for a nice backdrop against which the plot developed, and I appreciated it.

Above all, I liked the author's portrayal of Zachary, who was a multidimensional and likable protagonist. The local women, notably a married one, appreciated his charms and musical talent. Zachary found a quieter life in SJL's small and welcoming community, but he still longed for the thrill he got from the drug business. This contradiction colors the story, and I thought that the author explored Zachary's ambivalence well.

On the other hand, although the characters were interesting, I was frustrated by the dialogue between them. I felt that it was rather bland and unimaginative, with no place for nuance. Moreover, I thought that the writing style just wasn't vivid enough to make for a compelling story. This aspect was what I liked the least.

In closing, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I subtracted a star due to the writing style issues previously mentioned. Still, the book is an entertaining read. Due to its use of profane language and exploration of adult themes, especially drug use, I wouldn't recommend it to younger audiences. If you enjoy character-driven novels that take place in small towns, you should consider reading it.

St James Landing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

What a fascinating cast of characters! I appreciate your note about strong characters and uninspired dialogue. That must have been frustrating. Thanks for a great review!

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

The character development in this book sounds excellent, but it’s a pity about the issues you mentioned with the dialogue and the writing style; both are big issues for me, so I think I'll give this book a miss. Thanks for the great review!

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I would like to know more about Zachary character and what was his feelings when he met his old friend, indeed this sounds amazing book, already I can predict the theme of true friendship, otherwise thanks for sharing.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”