Official Review: Undocumented by Enrique Herrera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Undocumented by Enrique Herrera

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Undocumented" by Enrique Herrera.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to the Pew Research Center, an estimated 10.7 million undocumented immigrants reside in the US. A large majority of these immigrants come from Mexico (55 percent as of 2015). They come in search of opportunity and better lives for themselves or for their families. Regardless of where you stand on the politics of this issue, it remains an unavoidable fact that undocumented immigrants continue to enter the US, sometimes risking their lives to do so.

In his book, Undocumented, Enrique Herrera tells the story of two men and one couple who enter the United States from different entry points. The book documents the protagonists' reasons for making the difficult decision to immigrate and the difficulties they face along the way. It also describes how it is possible to enter the country if you are aware of the accessible routes.

The book starts with the narrator mysteriously finding a diamond ring in his car. The ring somehow seems to inspire him to write the stories of fictional characters, making them come alive in his head and visit him in his dreams. My favorite character was Juanito, who, with the help of a beloved teacher, risked life and limb to provide a better life for his family.

Illegal immigration is an issue that is debated regularly by politicians and media and there is much to be said on either side of the argument. Undocumented does not enter into the debate. It does not justify the illegal entries of the protagonists, nor does it condemn them for their actions. It just describes their lives, their loves, their reasons, and their motives without passing judgment one way or the other. Although I found the story interesting, I confess, the point of the ring eluded me. Perhaps the author was making some obscure connection between his search for the owner of the ring and the fictional characters' search for a better life. If that was the case, I don't think he was able to convey his point clearly enough.

Overall, Undocumented is an enjoyable story giving people a glimpse into the lives of the millions of undocumented residents living in the shadows in the US. The characters are well-formed, and the descriptions of the various ways they enter the US are extremely detailed. I did feel like the ring was an unnecessary addition, but it was not enough to detract from the positives of the book. Undocumented is well-written and well-edited; I could not find any unintentional typos in it. It does not contain any profanity or sex and is suitable for readers of all ages. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Undocumented
View: on Bookshelves
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

What an interesting perspective of which we never really get to hear about in the 'debate.' Thank you for such an informative and inviting review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”