Official Review: Rabbits and Moons by L. Wendell Vaughan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: Is the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Responsible for 9/11? by Theodore Pavlopoulos, ScD

Official Review: Rabbits and Moons by L. Wendell Vaughan

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rabbits and Moons" by L. Wendell Vaughan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rabbits and Moons by L. Wendell Vaughan tells the fictional story of life in an orphanage in Central America. The story is told through the eyes of Eleanor Abernathy, a thirty-year-old woman from Massachusetts. The story begins with Eleanor travelling to the orphanage where she intends to work in exchange for room and board. She is interested in improving her Spanish while immersed in her new life in Central America. Eleanor’s father is dead, and her mother is confined to a mental institution. Without much family, Eleanor enjoys spending time travelling alone.

The orphanage is located on a river that is essential to its operation. They use the river for water to shower and wash clothes. Keeping the young children clean and fed in such a remote part of the jungle is overwhelming for the volunteers. The volunteers are comprised of individuals with diverse backgrounds and nationalities. However, they all work together well. Relationships between the individuals are explored and secrets are exposed through the course of the book. There are unexpected twists in the story that make the book difficult to put down.

I enjoyed reading this book. The author has a unique writing style that kept me engaged throughout the story. The character of Eleanor is an independent woman with depth and intelligence. What I enjoyed most about the book is the wide range of diverse characters. They were multi-dimensional and moved the story along very well. There was also humor sprinkled throughout the book. The author’s descriptions of life in Central America were vivid and seemed very authentic.

There was very little that I disliked about this book. The unexpected twists in the story were very well done. The only thing I found difficult was the limited use of Spanish without a translation. This practice was repeated in small amounts throughout the book. It added to the authenticity of the setting. However, some untranslated passages seemed significant to the story. It wasn’t difficult to determine the essence of what was said. However, it would have been helpful to have a translation included.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There were some instances of profanity and sexual situations that make it inappropriate for younger readers. However, readers that enjoy stories about life in other countries or stories with strong female characters would enjoy this book. I only saw a few errors, so I believe it was professionally edited.

Rabbits and Moons
View: on Bookshelves

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for your review. It always makes the book more interesting when the environment is vividly described. The use of Spanish throughout the book sounds like a positive and a negative. It sounds like it helps authenticate the story, yet without interpretation may be misleading. I am not sure this is a book I would enjoy.
Latest Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 801
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Vannaskivt »

This sounds like a very interesting read. I agree regarding the Spanish parts though, that might be difficult for me since my Spanish is not very good. I like the premise though and that the Spanish sans translation adds to the authenticity of the story. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”