Official Review: Lucky Gift by Donna Wilkes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
2019 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Near Death (A Raney/Daye Investigation Book 1) by Rich Hosek, Arnold Rudnick, Loyd Auerbach
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Lucky Gift by Donna Wilkes

Post by Twylla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucky Gift" by Donna Wilkes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucky Gift by Donna Wilkes is a novella that tells the story of 12 passengers on Bus 208 who took the trip of a lifetime.

Michael and Jordan met in a computer science class at the University of Memphis where they were lab partners. After graduation, the two men decided to go into business together. The business was based on a clear tracking strip they had invented. It could be placed on any surface and tracked using an application. So Michael planned a trip to Kansas City to attend a trade show looking for investors to raise capital so they could expand their business. He purchased a one-way bus ticket to Kansas City to depart the following Sunday morning. Little did he realize the impact this trip would have on his life and the lives of all the other 11 passengers on Bus 208. This story is about the “gift” that everyone has inside themselves.

What I liked most about the book was the lesson behind each person's story. I think the most important lesson of the story was that people are not always what they appear to be. We make assumptions about who people are based on their appearance. For example, the ticket agent warned every passenger that an ex-convict, just released from prison, would be traveling on the bus with them. Michael assumed the large African-American man who looked like he pumped iron every day was the ex-convict. He was wrong.

Another lesson was that people are placed in our path for a purpose. Some call it “luck” or “divine providence,” but I believe people are strategically placed in our lives just when we need them or when they need us most. I wondered how many of those experiences we miss out on by not making ourselves available to connect with other people. What if the 12 passengers had kept to themselves, as people normally would on a bus, and not tried to connect with each other?

The story also demonstrates that there is greatness in each one of us. When life demands it, we need to dig deep and act on that greatness for it to be fully revealed. When a police chase ended in a car crash, a young woman was pronounced dead at the scene. What if the young resident, Dr. Nathan Willis, hadn't pulled the sheet back to re-examine her and determined that she was still barely alive?

The development of the main character, Michael Bell, was very good. I felt like I knew him. I was constantly cheering him on to be successful. As I read the book, I diagrammed the connections between all of the characters to each other and their connection back to Michael. It was quite a complicated web by the end of the story.

I felt like I was reading a fairy tale for adults wrapped in an episode of the Twilight Zone. I couldn't wait to turn the page. There is nothing about this book I didn't like. This book was well-written and professionally edited. I didn't find any errors at all. I would recommend Lucky Gift to anyone who enjoys an uplifting story that reminds us of how interconnected our lives really are. Once you understand that every action you take affects the life of another person in some way, it changes the way you live your life. I am giving this book an enthusiastic rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I plan to follow this author in the future.

Lucky Gift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an amazing and intriguing book, and I would love to read it and find out about what happens to the characters and how they're connected. It sounds like it carries a great message, too. Thanks for the review and recommendation!

Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Undaunted Valor, by Matt Jackson

Post by Michelle Fred »

I love the book's plot. It's so easy to become overwhelmed by our problems that we forget about others and the ways our lives could improve for the better if we pay a little more attention to the next person. Thanks for your review.

Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 801
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vannaskivt »

The premise of this book sounds like something I would like. I see the similarities between not judging a book by its cover and not judging people either. Writing a story to convey this message, especially one that takes place on a bus, sounds really interesting. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”