Official Review: Don't Judge the Day by the Dawn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Princess C and Me by Malcolm R. Martin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Don't Judge the Day by the Dawn

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Judge the Day by the Dawn" by Erica L. Dretzka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Samantha Marrel does not lead a typical teenage existence. Orphan of both parents, she lives with her sister Leah, her legal guardian, and her alcoholic husband, Bryce. At eleven years old, she has to take care of herself and her little nephew, Ryan, who is almost completely neglected by his parents. Frustrated by her difficult life, Sam finds refuge in running, studying, working at a small tea shop, and hanging out with her best friend, Lawrence. She can’t wait until the moment she is able to leave her small town in South Carolina and go to college, and she puts all of her efforts into being the best student and athlete she can be. However, she has to get through high school first. Will her friendship with Lawrence survive high school? Will Leah be able to stand up to Bryce and protect Ryan and Sam? What surprises does her seemingly insignificant job at the tea shop have in store for her? Don’t Judge the Day by the Dawn by Erica L. Dretzka follows Sam throughout high school, documenting her victories and frustrations.

The book touches on many important milestones that characterize adolescence: losing friendships and making new ones, finding one’s place in the high school ecosystem, and experiencing love for the first time. The author did a wonderful job of turning this book into a full immersion into Sam’s teenage life: everything, from the dialogues to the expressions used, felt realistic and like it was written from a teenager’s point of view. Although the book was written in the third-person point of view, reading it almost felt like snooping into a real teenager’s diary. Erica L. Dretzka demonstrates an amazing capacity to delve into the feelings and experiences that shape adolescence in a candid and gentle manner.

Don’t Judge the Day by the Dawn is an inspiring novel to read for teenagers, especially girls. Sam has a lot of amazing qualities that could encourage young readers to emulate her. Despite her difficult situation at home, she is resilient, hardworking, and determined to achieve her goals. Leah’s incapacity to take care of her and Ryan is a great encouragement for Sam to work really hard for what she wants and needs. Her job at the tea shop allows her to make money to buy things for herself and her nephew. The fact that she relies on an old bike to get around does not embarrass her: rather, it is an opportunity for her to train towards being a better runner. Her desperate drive to get out of her small town pushes her to study hard and diligently. This book could be of great encouragement to teenagers who might be experiencing harsh realities, providing them with examples of healthy coping mechanisms and success in spite of adverse circumstances.

There are two minor aspects of the book I did not particularly appreciate. The first one is the emphasis that is often placed on the characters’ physical appearance. All the female characters are described as tall, slim, and gorgeous, while the boys are muscular, athletic, and handsome. We often come across phrases such as “he braced his arms around her slim waist” and “she slipped on her size XS shorts.” This emphasis could frustrate teenagers who do not identify with these universally desirable characteristics and have a negative body image, which is a rather common issue. Furthermore, some elements of tension build up throughout the book only to fall flat at a later moment. For example, the athletic rivalry between Marci, Sam’s best friend, and her fellow dancer, Kaylyn, is documented throughout the story. However, towards the end of the novel, they just decide to leave each other alone.

Considering these small points of criticism, I rate Don’t Judge the Day by the Dawn by Erica L. Dretzka 3 out of 4 stars. Although I am no longer a teenager, I enjoyed reading this book. I only found a handful of minor errors, which did not distract me at all. The chapters are short and the writing concise, making it easy for readers to remain glued to the pages. I recommend this book to teenagers, especially girls, and if you have one in your life, I encourage you to buy this inspiring novel for them.

Don't Judge the Day by the Dawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Post by Eutoc »

I like that the book is targeted towards teenagers, it would be quite informative to them. I enjoyed reading your review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Luluwa79
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

The moral lessons in the novel are very important to everybody not just the young adults.
Thnks for the review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

I like the sound of the main character in this book, and I would love to find out what happens to her and her friends and family. It’s a pity about the issues you mentioned, which I agree would interfere with some readers’ ability to relate to and enjoy the book. Thanks for the great review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

I thoroughly enjoyed your insights about the author's descriptions. Many young readers would identify with Sam's adverse circumstances and be encouraged by her tenacious focus on achieving her goals. Great review!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by raluca_mihaila »

The book has a very catchy name, and it seems like an interesting read. Congratulations for this interesting review!

Cas95
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cas95 »

I like the idea of ​​the plot, as there are many people - especially teenagers - who can relate to life and the challenges the character faces. There are many more than there should be. Adolescents must be cared for by their parents or adults in charge, and yet it is they who end up fulfilling the role of adults.

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Princess C and Me by Malcolm R. Martin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Eutoc wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2020, 01:33
I like that the book is targeted towards teenagers, it would be quite informative to them. I enjoyed reading your review.
I agree. Thank you!
Luluwa79 wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2020, 11:11
The moral lessons in the novel are very important to everybody not just the young adults.
Thnks for the review.
Absolutely. Thank you for your comment.
Pluma wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2020, 19:31
I like the sound of the main character in this book, and I would love to find out what happens to her and her friends and family. It’s a pity about the issues you mentioned, which I agree would interfere with some readers’ ability to relate to and enjoy the book. Thanks for the great review!
I hope you will pick up the book and find out! Thank you so much for your kind comment.
kdstrack wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2020, 19:54
I thoroughly enjoyed your insights about the author's descriptions. Many young readers would identify with Sam's adverse circumstances and be encouraged by her tenacious focus on achieving her goals. Great review!
I believe this book will benefit them greatly. Thank you for your kind comment!
raluca_mihaila wrote: ↑
19 Nov 2020, 14:30
The book has a very catchy name, and it seems like an interesting read. Congratulations for this interesting review!
Multumesc, Raluca!
Cas95 wrote: ↑
19 Nov 2020, 18:58
I like the idea of ​​the plot, as there are many people - especially teenagers - who can relate to life and the challenges the character faces. There are many more than there should be. Adolescents must be cared for by their parents or adults in charge, and yet it is they who end up fulfilling the role of adults.
Sadly, it is absolutely the case. Thank you for your comment!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I absolutely agree that characters with ideal bodies can be frustrating for young adult readers. Otherwise the book seems to be very engaging! Thank you for a great review, Maria! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”