Official Review: Misty’s Blues by Penny Glover

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Confucius Analects by Raymond K. Li

Official Review: Misty’s Blues by Penny Glover

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Misty’s Blues" by Penny Glover.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Misty’s Blues, written by Penny Glover, is a novel that focuses on a mother and daughter, Heather and Misty, who are struggling to make peace with themselves and with their extended family. Heather has lived a wild and promiscuous life that has brought her nothing but trouble and strife. On top of that, she abandoned her little daughter and left her with nothing.

Misty struggled to survive on her own, but with some support, she found a way to live a decent life. Now, as a strong young woman, she has to decide whether to forgive her mother or not. Her mother’s family is also desperate to meet her after so many years apart. But can she forget everything and rejoin the family as though nothing had happened? You have to read the book to find out.

All in all, Misty’s Blues started strong, and I especially enjoyed the poem included at the beginning of the book. There were also some twists and turns that made the plot more interesting. Nevertheless, I had several issues with the book that detracted from my reading experience.

First, there were several sentences that were awkward to read. These sentences were often confusing, and I had to reread them to fully grasp what the author was trying to say. Take, for example, the following sentence: "In fact, she has gotten herself in a heap of trouble telling other guys girlfriends that the baby is their boyfriend’s.”

Second, I found it difficult to enjoy the narration of the story in the third person. The narration lacked some form of grace and sophistication that I often struggled to get through the reading. The following scene from the book would explain my point perfectly: "She pulls back and tells him to leave her alone. Jonathan is upset now that Madison has disrespected him. He takes his hand and slaps her across the face.”

Third, there were more errors in the book than I could count. Most of these errors were petty but detracted greatly from my reading experience. For example, several conversations in the book had missing quotation marks, making it difficult to distinguish between when a character was speaking and when the author was narrating the story. The most frustrating experience for me was the conversation between several characters in chapter nine, where I struggled profoundly to follow the conversation and was even more perplexed when the name of one of the characters speaking was omitted.

All things considered, I rate Misty’s Blues 1 out of 4 stars. Although I enjoyed the beginning of the book, the rest of it failed to live up to expectations. Further, I found more than ten errors in it and do not believe it was professionally edited. There were also strong vulgar language and erotic scenes in it.

Misty’s Blues
View: on Bookshelves
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Tarilan
2019 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Tarilan »

The first thing I noticed was the book cover. However, the inconsistencies are a turn off. Thanks for the honest review.

Luluwa79
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

I would have loved to read this lovely novel, but i will skip it until it is edited.
Thanks for the review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley

Post by Sararob06 »

It’s disappointing that it started out strong but ended so poorly. Thank you for an honest and fair review but I will be skipping this book.

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

Hope the author addresses the shortcoming raised by you and comes out with a nice version of this book. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Kirsi_78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kirsi_78 »

What a shame that this book has obviously not been professionally edited. Otherwise the story sounds like something I would enjoy to read, but I think I’ll wait for the second round of editing. Thanks for your honest review!

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Murdering the macho managers by Ben reuben

Post by Eutoc »

It seems the author has a lot work to do, particularly on the editing. Thanks for the interesting review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Crimson at Cape May by Randy Overbeck

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The writing definitely needs some work. Great review!

Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Ayindelaw »

Hi Elvis,
I am shocked to see that you rated this book one out of four stars. It must have been really difficult to get through. I hope the author accepts this graciously and make the necessary improvements. Good luck to you and Penny Glover.

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: The Last Minder by Fish Phillips

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a detailed review and recommendations . I hope she forgives the mum and move on.

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

This premise of this story sounds promising, but the execution seems to have left a lot to be desired.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”