Official Review: Divisions by C. M. Lott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Divisions by C. M. Lott

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divisions" by C. M. Lott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Division among the Americans has been looming even before the election of President Donald Trump. After the 2016 election, the rate of this division has increased exponentially. While the difference in political opinions has been one of its causes, corruption, and embezzlement of funds among different states have been its major causes. Divisions by C. M. Lott is a fictional novel that narrates about how political instability, corruption, and embezzlement of funds have been, and still are, contributing to divisions among the American citizens before the 2020 presidential election.

Although Lucas graduated with a degree in philosophy, his efforts to secure a job in the field bore no fruits. He, however, was lucky to be hired by a certain bank in Chicago. He was now working in the human resource department with his secretary, Tawanda Lewis. Tawanda is a kind-hearted woman. She often put the needs of others above her own. On this day, the bank received a crowd of people, mostly elderly, parading to withdraw all their cash from the bank. They later realized the newspaper had run an article about how broke the state was, and their intentions to impose more taxes on the citizens. Will the bank survive this pressure?

This book has 81 pages. It is divided into 3 chapters. Although all the chapters talk about the incompetence of the political class and corruption, they are unrelated. Each chapter can, therefore, be read independently. This book is written from the third person’s point of view, and in the past simple tense. Some themes covered include corruption, politics, work, and terrorism. The author uses fictional characters to talk about real-life events affecting ordinary citizens.

Reading this book was both mind-opening and enjoyable. I like that, while this is a political book, the author expresses his disappointment, favoring no political sides. This will make it appeal to everyone, regardless of their political inclination. Using fictional characters to educate readers about current events is a genius move. This is because readers, especially those who like character-driven books, learn more while following characters’ lives.

Although nicely written, I noticed some areas that didn’t appeal to me. First, since this book is divided into chapters, one would expect that the subsequent chapter is a continuation of the previous one. However, in this book, each chapter is independent and has completely different characters. It almost read like short stories. I also noticed that, to some extent, the author was biased against the Islamic states. He views them as uncivilized and violent. Readers from these states might, therefore, feel offended. Since I came across at least five grammatical errors while reading, I recommend another round of editing.

In conclusion, the author did well in educating the masses on the consequences of electing incompetent politicians. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the poor editing. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys politically unbiased books.

Divisions
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Well, divisions are a demon we're currently battling with. It's a pity the masses have allowed the political class and elite to divide and rule. Thanks for the review!
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I'm not sure if the "the rate of the division in America has increased exponentially" after Trump. In Obama's America, the country already seemed divided. Anyway, I loved your review. I will pass the book, though.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”