Official Review: The Consummate Communicator

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
2019 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Near Death (A Raney/Daye Investigation Book 1) by Rich Hosek, Arnold Rudnick, Loyd Auerbach
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: The Consummate Communicator

Post by Twylla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Consummate Communicator" by Amy S Hamilton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Consummate Communicator: Character Traits of True Professionals by Amy S. Hamilton is a fictional story that can be used as a teaching tool to demonstrate how a fundamental set of behaviors can transform a company and also make it a better place to work.

Regional Bank was struggling. Every quarter they would lose more market share to their competitors. The bank was operating at a loss. The Board had to make a decision. Should they start selling off assets and liquidate? Or was it possible to make the bank profitable again? The Board hired Jay Admiral to lead them out of a very grim financial situation.

Before Jay stepped into his role as CEO, he visited the midtown branch office wearing a suit he had gotten at a thrift store, worn-out shoes, and a cheap watch, and he asked to speak to a loan officer. He wanted to know how the bank treated the average working man. He had the worst customer experience he had ever had in a bank.

One of the most interesting changes that Jay made to the organization was the creation of a new management advisory board made up of representatives from each department. The only requirement was that the representative must be under 30 years old. The idea of having an advisory board made up of “kids” was not well received by the bank's senior management. Regional Bank had a long, proud tradition, but it had become inflexible, unchanging, and out of touch with the financial needs of its customers.

One of the primary lessons in this story is that change is difficult. But it is interesting that the changes with the biggest impact on the business didn't cost anything. Having precise mission and vision statements, and clearly defined, achievable goals that are communicated to every employee were critical factors in changing the direction of the bank. Asking employees for their suggestions and listening to their ideas gave them a vested interest in the company.

Then there is always that one manager who is so set in his ways, he just cannot get on board with the new program. Jay shows us how to deal with him.

The Consummate Communicator is well-written and professionally edited. I found a few minor typos, but only because I was looking for them. There is nothing I didn't like about the book. I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this book to Project Managers and leaders at all levels of an organization. Telling a story that teaches good leadership skills is a brilliant idea. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I also watched Ms. Hamilton's TEDx Talk, The Secret to Life from a PMP. It was fabulous. I am anxious to read her first book, The Project Manager: Life is a Project.

The Consummate Communicator
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Congratulations for the interesting review! I loved the fact that Jay did the mystery shopping test, and proved that he really cared for the organizations, which is a rare thing. It seems like an educational and motivational book.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

Teaching lessons through storytelling is a great idea, as it would make more of an impression in the minds of the readers. This sounds like a good book that achieves its objectives nicely. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”