Review by K-A-Y -- Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
K-A-Y
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: The Bride Test
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Review by K-A-Y -- Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

Post by K-A-Y »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Boss" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Any cat owner worth his/her salt knows that nobody ever owned a cat; but the love of one such feline, is a great gift to have.

Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem is a wholesome tale of the unlikely pairing between a straight-laced, conservative Cop and a liberal yet strong-willed woman with an extraordinary sixth-sense and the many cats that find solace in her home. Our skeptic cop; Devon encounters an eccentric character in his sister-in-law’s aunt; Elaine at a family Thanksgiving dinner with claims of beneficial information for him and from there on out, his life never remains the same. Soon, Devon begins to question his beliefs and principles at every turn, especially when he starts to crack more cases and clean up his beloved community with the invaluable help of Elaine and her feline informants.

We also see how our cynical detective grows to embrace the enchanting relationship between cats and their humans, as well as all that comes with it. While he does not abandon practicality, he becomes more open-minded towards things that cannot be logically explained. Through Elaine’s help, Devon comes to appreciate that the world is much broader than it seems; and when it comes to cats, any time spent with them is never futile. Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem is a fun read for those looking for a dose of laughter and fantastic situations involving cats and the humans they love. If you know anything about cats you know that they are rather exceptional at making you do exactly what they want which, as our dear detective comes to realise, is best done as soon as possible.

The book draws attention to the two contrasting characters in Devon; a conservative stickler for logic and rules, and Elaine; charitable and unconcerned about society’s norms. The two are reflective of the views dominant in society today such as the button-down, traditional outlook on life in contrast to the free-spirited and unconventional take respectively. For me, the inevitable collision of both worlds made for a worthwhile read. In addition, this tale is bound to have you wondering about cats and if you’re a cat owner, you can probably relate to the antics of the feline friends described in Cat Boss. Furthermore, if you’re in the mood for some light detective work without the sombre mood most crime novels incite, then this is the book for you, I mean how serious can it be with energy-efficient cats involved?

One thing which I liked least with this book, was the in-depth description of the personality of a main character in the prologue as opposed to allowing the reader come to their own conclusions from the story. However this does not detract from the tale as the author has a lot more in store to keep you engaged. Conversely, an element I liked the most was the author’s succinct portrayal of the dilemma cops face between blindly seeking justice as opposed to looking out for those who fall through the cracks. Do we, in our quest to make our society safer, neglect those who through no fault of theirs cannot seem to escape certain lots in life? An excellent question readers would have no trouble answering after reading this book.

Tayma Tameem makes excellent use of simple uncomplicated storytelling at an even pace. The action isn’t rushed and the humour is tasteful. Cat Boss for me ranks 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend this book to all in need of a laugh. I’m rating it a 3 and not a 2 because though it doesn’t seem professionally edited, as there are quite a number of typos and grammatical errors, they do not affect the fluidity of the read. Consequently it’s a 3 and not a 4 because, though the emotions of the characters carry through quite well, the prose could stand to be a bit more descriptive and engaging.

Upon reading, Cat Boss appears to be the first in a series called Paws for Action which means we can expect to see more of Devon and Elaine as well as the nifty clutter of cats in her life. Conclusively, with the absence of profanity throughout the tale, I am confident that this book would be suitable for a wide range of audience.

Cat Boss
View: on Bookshelves
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Nobody Meets Jesus by Doretha Johnson

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a detailed review. I have reservation for this one because I don't like cats.
K-A-Y
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: The Bride Test
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by K-A-Y »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 09:13 Thanks for a detailed review. I have reservation for this one because I don't like cats.
Many thanks to you for stopping by.
Well, cats are not everyone's cup of tea so I understand.
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”